Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I slowly build up my knowledge on the B5 platform particularly my 2001 S4 with CAN bus (Symphony with [email protected] stero) and no previous Nav system installed several questions seem to come to light that I need answered before I can begin:

- Kufatec, can a harness be built for my car? Do I have to build my own?

- Why can't the install be as easy as the 2003 Allroad install except with a slight cut of the NAV unit?

My car has GALA which as people have discovered is nothing more than the V signal and GALA is already running to the stereo. Can't we just run this wire into "PIN #3" into the RNS-E 4BO 035 192 R

- Do we have to mess with the CAN at all since the current stereo has CAN high and CAN low already connected to it?

-Does anyone know if that same cubby-hole exists in our model, like the allroad for a GPS antenna (it simplifies things quite a bit not to mention changes part numbers)?

-One last question: is there a difference in color between the B5 model and the B6, and between the A4 and A6 (8EO 035 192 E vs. 4BO 035 192 R)? The pictures of the RS4 install make the RNS-E look like a completely different color than the surrounding dashboard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a B5 S4 and an RNS-E 04B Euro version. I need to get the wiring harness for my Bose Symphony. I believe that wiring harness exits to connect to this unit as some 2003 A6 have the bose sound system that is in the B5 S4. As far as the can signals are concerned it appears that the 04b does not need the speed signals over the CAN, and perhaps does not need the illumination and ignition signal over the CAN either as someone has installed it in b5 RS4 which to my knowledge does not have these dignals. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Does your Symphony get connected like this?

This picture is taken from the Nav-Plus pages (http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/installb5.html) and shows that you have light/ignition on your Symphony I. There is also CAN-high and CAN-low but this may be the display CAN only, not the infotainment CAN. Since the RNS-E has only one set of CAN connectors, I suppose the display CAN gets it data from some interface which bridges infotainment CAN with the display CAN (which itself talks to the engine CAN).

There is an adapter which is supposed to connect devices which require the infotainement CAN to cars which don't have that bus. But I don't know if that adapter allows you to display data in your instrument cluster.

The link here http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19 may give you more answers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"The CAN Bus wires (BL/WH-CANH BLACK/GR CANL) were crimped to the existing wires (OR/BR CANL, OR/LI CANH). The TMC Tuner was pegged out"

This quote is taken from hendrik's website (the guy who got the RNS-E to work in his RS4) But he does not say wether or not the the illumination is working and wether the nav is working as he does not have a map disk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I don't know the actual relay direction of the CAN High and Low. The color question never got answered does anyone have a clue about it, it would at least point me in the right direction to the RNS-E unit I will use? I don't want to do all this work for it to look like crap. In the meantime perhaps some of you could decipher some of these connections found on the RNS-E.

B. Connector
1. MOST Ring Break
4. U14 R-2
7. Bose Pin
10. U14 ST CDD

C. Connector
2. RFSL

D. Connector
12. KL 31
13. U14 St. DSP (Radio on)
14. DWA-GND
15. KL 30
16. U14 R.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far as the color goes, if you look at the color or the RNS-E they are a flat black color. The color of the AC panel is a bit darker black color. Everything else matches well, as the rest of the dash is the same flat balck color as the RNS-E. I just checked it in my S4 which has the onyx interior and it looks fine. I checked the fitment, and it looks like you have to trim the bottom of the face plate to make it snap in, and if done right, it should look perfect. You porbably looked at the picure of the RS4 with the shiny piano black trim looks a bit off, but may not look bad in person. Personally I think with balck and silver colors you have to add contrast to make things stand out a bit and look nice. For example, chrome tirm on silver car looks really nice, as well as brighter silver wheels than the color of the car, with shiny black calipers. would look really nice

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far as the cubby hole behind the instrument cluster, it should be the same as the Alllroad A6/ B5S4 have a ver similar dash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the color update - that already makes me feel a little better about this expensive project.

Alright here is what I have for possiblitlies for the wiring (Kufatec hasn't written back to me it it looks like I will build my own wiring harness), please correct me if I am wrong.

RNS-E = Symphony I

Connector D.
12. KL 31 = GND
15. K1 30 = GND
16. U14 R = +12V

Connector C.
2. RFSL = Reverse wire (we'll have to get it like in the Nav + installs)

Connector B.
4. U14 R-2 = CD +12V
7. Bose = GND
10. U14 ST. CDD = CD ACC

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I have so far - any discrepancies?
Symphony -------- RNS-E
Connector 1
1. Ground ---------- ?
2. Illumination ------- ?
3. Switched (+12V) ------- ?
4. Mute (Nav) -------- ?
5. +12V Battery ------- ?
6. Blank -------- ?
7. K Diagnostic -------- 5. On Connector B = K Line
8. GALA -------- 3. On Connector B = V Signal

Connector 2
9. Blank (possibly RL-) -------- 8. Blank
10. Front Left (-) ------- 6. Connector A = Front Left (-)
11. Front Right (-) -------- 7. Connector A = Front Right (-)
12. Blank (possibly RR-) ------ 5. Blank
13. Blank (possibly RL+) ------ 4. Blank
14. Front Left (+) -------- 3. Connector A = Front Left (+)
15. Front Right (+) ------- 2. Connector A = Front Right (+)
16. Blank (possibly RR+) ------- 1. Blank

Connector 3 (CD Changer)
17. CD Right Channel ------- 9. Connector B = CDC-NF R In
18. CD ACC Control ------ 10. Connector B = U14 ST CDC
19. CD Data Out ------ 6. Connector B = CDC-Data Out
20. CD Signal GND ------ ?
21. CD Clock ------ 12. Connector B = CDC-Data CLK
22. CD Left Channel ------ 8. Connector B = CDC-NF L In
23. CD +12V ------ 4. Connector B = U14R-2
24. CD Data In ------ 11. Connector B = CDC-Data In

Connector 4 (Option)
25. Remote ------- ?
26. Clock ------- ?
27. CAN Low ------- 10. Connector D = CAN-L
28. Data -------- ?
29. Enable -------- ? Bose?????
30. CAN High ------- 9. Connector D = CAN-H

Connector 5 (Line Out)
31. Line Out Front Right ------ 9. Connector C = Line Out FR
32. Line Out Rear Right ------ 11. Connector C = Line Out RR
33. +12V Switched Out ------ ?
34. Speaker GND ------ 8. Connector C = Line Out GND
35. Line Out Front Left ----- 3. Connector C = Line Out FL
36. Line Out Rear Left ------ 5. Connector C = Line Out RL

Connector 6
37. +12V Battery ------ 11. Connector D = CAN-H
38. Tele Mute ----- ?
39. Tele (-) ------ 6. Connector C = Tel NF In (-)
40. Tele (+) ------ 12. Connector C = Tel NF In (+)
41. Nav (-) -------- ?
42. Nav (+) ------- ?
43. Nav Mute ------- ?
44. Nav Control ------- ?
45. CD GND -------- 2. Connector B = CDC NF GND
46. Illumination --------- ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
currannc,

Have you tried contacting Ralf? He supplies these parts on Ebay. I just sent him and email, he has a reputation of replying quickly, where as Kufateck does not. You and I are basically in the same boat. I will let you know what he has to say. If I don't get anywhere, and you are making a harness, I will pay you for the parts and whatever you think is fair for your time to make an extra one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I checked and rechecked this wiring setup but I am still coming up with blanks.

All of these need a GND?
KL 31
KL 30
Bose

U14 R-2 Does this need a battery +12V or just a simple +12V

What the heck is:
MOST Ring Break?
U14 ST. DSP (Radio On)?
DWA-GND?

And lastly, where am I supposed to get another ground from since I have 2 left and I need 3?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a reply from Ralf, apparently he is not very up on recent developments for the B5. He was not aware that the RNS-E could work on the B5 due to can issues. Anyways I replied that it could, but it does not look like anyone has a wiring harness for it and one has to be made from scratch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I emailed Sky at Nav-plus and I am going to try and get the parts through him. He is the only one that took the time to reply to me. As a back-uo, and I can't get the parts through him, I am going to custom build a harness at Kufatec (http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/products_id/211) I need to know the female pin connectors (to hook the current connections into to go to the harness) and where to buy them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah,
I read about the stuff in AudiWorld about Sky. The person that was telling me the harnesses are interchangeable is Kufatec (YEAH HE WROTE ME BACK!) I looked into it, and most of the connections are the same except for:

1. Ground ------- (-)
2. Illumination ------ Blank
3. Switched +12V ------ Blank
4. Mute (Nav) ------ Alarm GND
8. Gala ----- Bose
25. Remote ------ Blank
26. Clock ----- Blank
28. Data ----- Blank
34. Speaker GND ----- COM

But many of these are blanked (taped off) when converting to the Nav plus which is similar in many respects. The question is can we modify this harness if a few of the wires need to be moved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aparently we need an CAN-Bus adapter if we want to install the Nav for the A4 models (which look as though they match our color trim). The unit needs to change a speed signal into CAN-Bus. I think this adapter is offered by Oettinger at http://www.oettinger-mobile.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/oxs4245279302e16/cl/details/cnid/1d540c42eb91fae93.02057443/anid/67f40cd8432774cb7.95074628/Oettinger-CAN-Bus-Translator-1-Channel/ They also have another adapter that might prove useful, which is what they keep selling on ebay, which does all the needed CANBus conversions including backing and ignition, and mentions the speed signal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why do we need a canbus adapter if the RNSE uses the GALA speed signal? Also from reading some of the other installs it appears it uses other analog signals as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe we are on a different page. I was under the assumption things such as lighting (illumination), ignition, speed, and reverse are needed through CAN-Bus if you wanted the RNS-E to work properly. This is especially true if you want to get the A4 version working properly in our cars. The A6 version will work but you have to tap into the CAN-Bus behind our instrument cluster.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts