Audi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the main screen on the RNS-E adjust its brightness / contrast level based on the outside light level? Kind of like the auto dimming mirrors.

Today I noticed that the screen got dimmer as I pulled into the garage (light level outside the car got darker going into the garage). I then started to back out of the garage slowly and saw the screen get brighter (light level outside the car got brighter). I pulled in and out of the garage a few times just to make sure I was not seeing things.

This would make sense since the screen does not have to be as bright if it is overcast vs. sunny outside.

Is this a feature, just a coincidence or am I really seeing things?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i've never seen that on my RNS-E.. the only thing I have is that when I turn my headlights on the screen goes dark to adjust.. that's all

i think you're seeing things

·
Registered
13 Posts
adrianma said:
...the only thing I have is that when I turn my headlights on the screen goes dark to adjust.. that's all
That is a setting that can be turned off.

My screen doesn't change when my headlights are turned on.

dbaser
:wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Under steup the choices for this are On, Off or Auto.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There are two settings, day/night and the display dimming. Day/night you can set under setup, the auto dimming is based on the signal coming from the cluster over CAN. Hold your hand over the 0mph or km/h position where the interiour light sensor sits and you will see that not only the cluster dims but also the RNS-E.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I tested the hand over the 0mhp part of the cluster and sure enough the screen went darker. Thanks everyone for answering my question, it is good to know I'm not seeing things..... again.. hehe

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, if installed in a A3 8P, A4 B6/B7 or A6 C5 Facelift. Doesn't work when CAN-bus adapters are used, may not work when Comfort CAN is used instead of Infotainment CAN.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Basically, there are two different things that the car uses to dim the lights...

-The dimmer wheel beside the light switch that you set manually

-As AudiA4B6US says, there is a light sensor below the zero in your speedo, the cluster uses this to brighten for light situations and darken for dark situations.

So with input from both these devices, the cluster decides how much voltage to send out over the illumination wires.

Also, FWIW, there are two different illumination circuits...

58s: switched illumination, these are the lights that only illuminate when the light switch is on.

58d: dimmed illumination, these are the lights that are on anytime your car is on.

The screen on the RNS-E is controlled by the 58d circuit... so even if your lights are off, it will dim in darker situations, or become brighter with direct sunlight on the light sensor in the cluster. The brightness setting within the RNS-E itself will also affect this behavior. For instance, if the RNS-E is already set to be very dim, you may not see it get any dimmer when entering a garage.

·
Registered
996 Posts
adrianma said:
a little thread jack here

NSX you seem really comfortable with the car wiring.. and i was wondering if you could help me out

about 2 weeks back an auditech helped me install an autodimming mirror with the light sensor (for auto headights) in my 2003 A4. I brought a new light switch with an auto-on function in hope it would work.

however.. it does work but it always has the headlight on in auto mode, it doesn't go off.. i'm thinking there's something up with the wiring in the dimming mirror thats not communicating with my light switch.. do you have any idea how i could go about solving this??

thanks in advance.
Adrian,
I have the same mirror and am quite familiar with the wiring of those mirrors. Unfortunately, that mirror only has 6 wires (ign power, ground, reverse, and three wires that communicate with the exterior auto/dim mirrors; However, pin#6 gets routed to the map/dome light). Not sure if this helps or not.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts