Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want to get Nav+ and install it on my 2004 A4 Convertible.

I went to Audi and they told me what I would need to buy. (It came to $2000..)

I asked how much installation would be and they talked to the service people.

At that point, the service people asked what year, model car it was and said "forget it, your car doesn't support it"

How could that be? I have the Symphony radio with 6 CD in the dash...

Are they wrong? If so, what would I buy?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Definitely possible in a B6 A4.

Check out the below link for the part number for your region:

http://www.navplus.us/forum/index.php?f=23

You'll also need a wiring loom adaptor, radio antenna adaptor, a GPS antenna and a map disk.

Given that you've got a Symphony it is a pretty straight forward install.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Audi told me that my car won't support Nav+ .. is it tru

jimwilson said:
At that point, the service people asked what year, model car it was and said "forget it, your car doesn't support it"
This is the standard response of most Audi dealers - in your 2004 A4 Cabrio it's completely and utterly untrue.

Since you have a Symphony II radio there are NO mechanical modifications needed.

What you need is a complete kit (I would suggest you check out the trusted sellers in the For Sale forum here) for a B6 A4 convertible. The kit will contain:

- an RNS-E (with an 8H0 or 8E0 prefix - 8H0 is the B6/B7 cabriolet version, 8E0 is the B6/B7 sedan/avant version which will also fit).

- a wiring adapter (you need to specify if your car has Bose or not, and I would suggest you ask for the adapter to include phone and CD connections - just in case you want to add Bluetooth or sat radio or a Phatbox or a CD changer later).

- a GPS antenna (which you can fit under the dash or in the instrument cluster).

- an antenna adapter (the RNS-E uses different antenna connectors to your Symphony II).

- a map DVD.

- a set of 4 radio removal keys.

Installing these should take no more than an hour in your car, and you'll then need access to VAG-COM to check the coding of your RNS-E is correct (if you get an 8E0 you will almost certainly have to change it), to recode your instruments so the navigation directions show up on your DIS, and to clear the error codes that always appear when you disconnect things!

I've upgraded from a Symphony II to an RNS-E in both a 2004 B6 S4 and a 2007 B7 RS4 - it's a quick and easy job.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Complete BS (as usual)

I sold few of units for car like yours and did install at least in 2.
2 years ago my local dealer told me that RNS-E can't be installed in car older than 2005....well they said the same about my TEL interface, TV and multifunction steering wheel from B7...

...finally they shut up after they see that everything is up and working.

Tell your dealer that he shouldn't touch an Audi if he doesn't have a clue about them.
:roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also inquired about buying and installing a Navi unit and two different dealers told me that I couldn't do it. Well, guess what?...I bought a unit from Proxus and my Navi is working wonderfully in my car.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: thanks...

jimwilson said:
I can't believe those idiots down at Audi.. dont they WANT to make $2000????
They don't have much profit on it ....NAV as a package with the car is about $1900-2200, some of them sell it separate for $2800-3400 without any cables and maps and this way they can make some money.

Problem is that Audi doesn't sell any adapters so some of them don't have a clue that it is possible. Car is either equipped or not.

The thing I hate about it is fact that instead I DON'T KNOW they say IT IS NOT POSSIBLE :roll: This is typical answer from most service dept. in America not Audi only. Few months ago I called Panasonic USA to book their 58" plasma and they told me that I got my info wrong because they don't sell plasmas in this size. I told the guy to look at their news releases before he's going to open mouth again.

This always will be a problem when companies instead of enthusiasts hire people who want to make few bucks.

On the good note...my local Audi dealer offer aftermarket install of Audi phone system but it cost $1140 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts