Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone ( or is it morning for you AudiA4B6US?),

I have been devouring the forum, particularly the threads referring to file limits and card sizes, because the SD unit in my September 2006 RS4 Avant resolutely refuses to function correctly with the SanDisk 2Gb disks I've bought and the only response from Audi (for the second time today after the latest software upgrade) is that the maximum size of card is 256Mb - clearly that is not the case as most of you seem to be using up to 4Mb cards.

Let me elaborate.

When i bought the cards, I loaded them with MP3 files using the "send to portable device" option of Musicmatch 10 - and all 3 were under the 512 Files/folders limit.
I loaded the first two and both loaded into memory, and played perfectly (apart from the mix function issue identified elsewhere on the forum).
However when I removed SD1 from slot 1 and substituted SD3, although the unit appeared to be loading the files from SD3 into memory, in fact the files from SD1 were those which appeared in the playlist.
I even tried taking out BOTH cards and only putting SD3 in - same problem - apparently those 2 blocks of files were there forever.

Audi couldn't do anything and in fact replaced the unit, but told me to use 256Mb cards - which are a waste of time as at 192kps or above I can only get 40 or so files on each so may as well stick with 6 compiilation CDs!!

So I didn't do anything until I discovered this forum, and followed Urgrue's advice (Song order with SD MP3'3 Aug 14th 2005) so ended up with 3 cards with between 350 and 400 files in a sub directory and a playlist in the root. I haven't tried the re-written cards as I decided to leave it to them to try so they could recreate the problem.

Audi technical just phoned to say they will not work and re-iterated the 256Mb limit.

I'm not mad (annoyed yes) or stupid and I don't think my unit is any different from any other NavPlus so can anyone suggest what might be wrong and anything I might try please?

Any thoughts appreciated - PetrolDave, any chance we could have a chat offline as I'm in South london and you may be able to show the bloke at Audi that they do work and that I'm not making it up? I think my e-mail is in my profile - if not I will put it there.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Regardsless what we say here, if Audi AG says it won't work then the Audi dealer will say it won't work and that's it. So everything you do, leave the dealer out of the loop because he won't be any help anyway.

there are lots of issues with SD cards, some are too old, some are too new. And there are also issues with the reader and with the MP3 files - or better the ID3 tags in those. Your best bet is to start over and rip an audio CD using Windows medial player, plain and easy. Then reformat a SD card with FAT32 and use explorer to copy those files over. Eject the removable media from within Windows first before physcally ejecting the card itself. And give it a try. If that doesn't work then one of the steps if faulty. If it works then you can go back and see where the difference is betwene the fresh ripped songs and your archive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thought process Audi - sounds very logical and I will give this a shot and report back.

In the meantime I'm left with this nagging thought that when I tried the 2Gb cards in the first place, both happily loaded into the unit and played, the problem seeming to be that the unit would not then allow new SD playlists to overwrite what had earlier been read into memory - and rather worryingly would not allow any manual purging of memory to allow the next media to be loaded - it sort of leads one to the thought that the files still retained their integrity but that the unit has a glitch. The files happily work on my iPod, and in my Blackberry Pearl via a micro SD 2Gb card.

There is maybe one way to test the theory - if I could get access to someone with working 2 Gb cards we could test the unit and more importantly, if they would not work, demonstrate to Audi AG that there is a fault in the system.

Anyone up for a meeting? As I said in my earlier post I'm in South London and would be more than happy to give the car a run out!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Regardsless what we say here, if Audi AG says it won't work then the Audi dealer will say it won't work and that's it. So everything you do, leave the dealer out of the loop because he won't be any help anyway.
Second that advice - most of what we do on here Audi tell us won't work - and we all know that it does!!!

From the way that SD cards operate I would suggest that there is no long term cache of SD card contents ...

- every time you cold start the RNS-E a large SD card (I use 4GB cards) take a long time (several tens of seconds, sometimes more than a minute) to read before it starts playing.

- on a warm start (when the RNS-E has not gone to sleep, e.g after filling with gas/petrol) the SD card starts playing almost immediately from the point in the track that it had reached.

The other point I'd make it that just because the MP3 files are fine on other media (iPod, Blackberry, WHY,...) doesn't mean the RNS-E will accept them. The RNS-E is "fussy" about file and folder names. As well as a limit of 64 characters on the complete path name, each file/folder name cannot contain some "special" characters such as pling"!". So you need to check that all these restrictions are being met by your SD card contents.

Rather than using the "send to portable device" function of Musicmatch 10 I would suggest you control the SD card contents by manually copying the files and folders yourself.

I could loan you a 4GB card that works in my RNS-E? We'll be shopping in Waterlooville on Saturday if you fancy a "blast" down the A3?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can confirm I have 2 4gb cards running in my RNS-E, only problems I encountered were that although I have read the limit to be 512 files or so I have only ever managed to get 400 files running this includes my playlists, my 1st card has 14 playlists so I am using 386 files, and 14 folders with some subdirectories underneath ie cd1 cd2 cd3 of a particular album, I couldnt use playlists that I generated using Tag & rename, I use Playlist Creator 3 now without issue, my cards also can take anything upto 1 min 30 to load up from cold sometimes its less, my cards are both Transcend 4GB SD Secure Digital Memory Cards don't know if this helps, my unit is HW 050 Software 550.

Tony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for comments - I'll try the slow and careful approach to transferring files - need to learn a bit more about how to create playlists - I've bought Tag & Rename and Playlist Creator - but I have noticed that if I create a playlist out of Tag, it creates a hierarchy of folders so for instance AC DC\Back in Black\Hells Bells - so that one song effectively takes up 3 of the available 512 items if I understand the file limits correctly - presumably its better to simply copy the files I want onto the SD in a folder then create the playlists from there?
It's a bit of a pain I suppose - I was expecting it to as east as loading up my Nano before a bike ride - maybe Audi will bring the software into the 21st century some time soon to make it less fussy.

PetrolDave, thanks for the offer - can't make it this weekend but if you e-mail me a contact number I'll give you a call or drop you an e-mail to see if we could hook up - I'd welcome the opportunity to try a working 4Gb card.

I'll post on progress - then probably start asking about the vav system itself!!

Cheers all.

Johnnymag

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
orinoco254 said:
I have only ever managed to get 400 files running this includes my playlists, my 1st card has 14 playlists so I am using 386 files, and 14 folders with some subdirectories underneath ie cd1 cd2 cd3 of a particular album
Those "subdirectories underneath" ALSO COUNT towards the 512 limit.

So you've got 14 playlists + 14 folders + NNN subdirectories + 386 files = 414 + NNN.

ALL folders, sub-folders, MP3 files, playlists, etc. (i.e. every "object" on the SD card) count towards the 512 limit.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
shawnie53 said:
each card for a total of 1024 files/folders...
I guess you mean each card 512 max = a total of 1024 with two cards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
with the files limit, i wonder why 4gb is such a big deal? it would seem that 2x 1gb would be ample...

what is the ideal speed of the sd card? is 16x acceptable?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
skiwi said:
with the files limit, i wonder why 4gb is such a big deal? it would seem that 2x 1gb would be ample...

what is the ideal speed of the sd card? is 16x acceptable?
With 507 files/folders I use 3.3GB - so I definitely need to use 4GB cards.

After difficulties I had with an older RNS-E I always use hi-speed SD cards. Others have no problem with standard cards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello all,

I would like to mention that on my RNS-E (H version) it's indeed a file limit of 400 files/card. I have 510 files (including playlist) on a 4 GB card but RNS-E seems to read only the first 400. I've also tried to make two folders, one with 385 files and another with 120 and a playlist. RNS-E will read the first folder, the playlist and only 14 files from the second folder.

I've also read on RNS-E manual that it's a limit of 400 files on each medium SD Cards/CD. Well this only applies on SD Cards because on a 700 MB cd you can only have around 150 mp3 files.

I hope this will help someone.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
CeldeSuS said:
I would like to mention that on my RNS-E (H version) it's indeed a file limit of 400 files/card.
That's weird.

I too have an H version RNS-E, and mine happily reads 512 "objects" (MP3 files + M3U files + folders) per SD card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,
I am a new owner of an RNS-E and am too having an interesting time with the SD cards that I was hoping that you guys may be able to help with!

I have created a 4Gb card with a structure within the 512 limit inc playslist sibdirectories etc. I have playlists for each album in the root of the card as thought this would be a better way to display tracks etc having read most of the posts on there (Excellent forum by the way!).

However, whilst all my albums are visible and play perfectly in the folder view, for some reason only half of the playlists in the root are picked up by the RNS-E??? Why could this be? Is there a limit on the length of a playlist name?

I have created the playlists with Playlist creator 3 and those that appear work fine and all the files are visible if accessed directly...

Most strange, has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NJClark123 said:
Is there a limit on the length of a playlist name?
Not just playlist, but all files.

Remember how "old" DOS had a limit of 64 characters on the COMPLETE path name? Well the RNS-E has the same restriction on it's SD cards.

I had exactly this problem yesterday - all the playlists except for 1 appeared. So I shortened the folder name, remade the playlist and, bingo!, it worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so if I get this right, I can need to include the Playlist name and the entire file/folder tree and ensure the total is less than 64 characters, spaces etc.

I will try this and see how I get on.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NJClark123 said:
OK, so if I get this right, I can need to include the Playlist name and the entire file/folder tree and ensure the total is less than 64 characters, spaces etc.
Yep.

And if it's still not visible after that, check for characters like ! which the RNS-E won't accept.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Consider this a strange thing, as I was saying in previous posts that my rns-e will accept only 400 objects/card, it looks like it doesn't have any problem playing mp3s with any kind of characters in them (like ! , . &).
It's very curious since majority here are able to have 512 objects/card but they are not able to play files with strange characters. Strange...

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a 'newby' browsing through the postings I was amazed reading all the things about the 256Mb limit of the SD-slots.
My brandnew Audi TT (may 07) has a RNS-E (I assume the newest version) and I'm using 2 4Gb Apacer SD Cards with hundreds and hundreds of MP3 files (ripped with MediaPlayer11) with no problem at all!
So here's my solution: be smarTT buy a new TT :wink:

Greetings,
vVTT

btw: the dealer I didn't buy my TT from warned me for the 256Mb limit, the one I bought my TT didn't :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts