Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi S3 (2003 model) Symphony II to RNS-E installation that I did this morning. I used an A4 unit coded as an A6 and installed the Bluetooth telephone kit as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
craigyb said:
Audi S3 (2003 model) Symphony II to RNS-E installation that I did this morning. I used an A4 unit coded as an A6 and installed the Bluetooth telephone kit as well
hello!i have also have an audi s3 and thinking installing rns-e!

can you give me some information!

my car is model 2003 with can bus!

did you use a can bus adaptor?
what about the spped signal?in the rns e from an a4,can you connect it fron the cluster?
how did you filled the gap?
will an a4 unit fit better than an a4?

my s3 has not bose system but it has an factory fitted amplifier for the rear speakers!the front spekers work from the symphony direct without an amplifier!how can i code the rns-e?
do i have to buy an adapter with bose or not?

please help.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice job Craig!

Which A4 RNS-E unit did you use?
I thought the A6 RNS-E was the best unit for the fit?
Did you have to modify the faceplate much?

Thanks Craig
David

p.s. A write up of a 8L A3/S3 install would be great but probably asking too much, would even be willing to give you a little $$ insentive :wink:

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the A3 8L chassis the A4 seems to be a better fit, it leaves a much smaller gap at the top (2mm). If you use an A6 the gap is more like 5mm.

You have to remove the silver chrome strip from the bottom of the A4 and trim around 5mm from the bottom and 2mm from the top half of the sides.

Craig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool thanks Craig, I guess I have been hunting for the wrong unit :s

Is the chrome strip you rmove from the bottom the same one used on the top in the pic above?

Is there a prefered tool you use to cut the fascia accurately?

Also one last thing, did you run into any problems during the retrofit?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chrome strip was a £1.50 pice of 15mm by 2mm aluminium strip from a B&Q DIY center.

My preferred tool/s is a hacksaw and hand plane.

Only problem was a faulty speed pulse connection in the harness, I had to remake that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool thanks again Craig thats nice to hear :)

So it was just a wire from the correct cable needed which was faulty?
i.e. don't need anything specific for this retrofit?

You haven't done one for an A3 8L without FIS have you? I'm guessing you would need a CANbus emulator?

Haha sorry for all the questions but still trying to get all the facts straight before I procede...not planning any trips to Australia anytime soon? haha

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As the car had a symphony II and DIS, then the correct canbus was available in the harness.

I used an old connector for the speed pulse, that was the problem, I just renewed the end pin and it was fine. I took the speed pulse from pin 31 on the blue connector behind the cluster.

If you pay for the flights, I'm there....
:lol:
Craig

·
Registered
82 Posts
craigyb said:
If you pay for the flights, I'm there....
:lol:
Craig
i need you also in greece!!! :lol:

please can you tell us the final code you used?

as i told before my can does not have a bose system,just only a factory fitted amplifier for the rear speakers!

do i have to buy an adapter with bose or not?

how can i recode it?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coded as an A6

RNS-E: 0519711
Cluster Channel 62 was: 7
Telphone: 0010722

Car was BOSE, so non bose would have been...

RNS-E: 0502711

·
Registered
22 Posts
S3 install is great

Hi Craig,

The install looks great. I'm in the middle of collecting the parts for my S3 installation. Could you let me know which model # RNS-E and BT Module you fitted?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any A4 unit 8E0 035 192 C or D, this one happened to be a brand new D unit.

BT module, European 8P0 862 335 M

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Craig,

I dropped you a PM looking for help on doing this type of swap on a 2001 S3 with single din, if you could email me I would really appreciiate it.

Thanks!! Steve

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Steve, I read through the PM, I was trying to think of a suitable reply, unfortunately I have never done the single to double din conversion on a A3/S3 of that year. All I can say is that the car should have CAN bus, so connections should be easy.

Craig

·
Registered
300 Posts
craigyb said:
Hi Steve, I read through the PM, I was trying to think of a suitable reply, unfortunately I have never done the single to double din conversion on a A3/S3 of that year. All I can say is that the car should have CAN bus, so connections should be easy.

Craig
Thank you for at least trying :)

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
craigyb said:

Craig
When I tried tapping into pins 5 & 6 of the middle connector to pick up the CAN bus on my 2000 facelift I kept getting "enter pin". I am sure I coded the cluster right but it was my first time using VAG.com.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has got it working.

·
Registered
300 Posts
richardi734 said:
craigyb said:

Craig
When I tried tapping into pins 5 & 6 of the middle connector to pick up the CAN bus on my 2000 facelift I kept getting "enter pin". I am sure I coded the cluster right but it was my first time using VAG.com.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has got it working.
Any help as to what wires you tapped into Craig is appreciated. Also did you use a emulator?? (Craig)

Stephan, thanks for the help on your side also..

Steve

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grey 32 pin connector on the cluster

Pin 5 = CAN HI
Pin 6 = CAN LO

Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.