Audi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw many people really confused and asking questions about RNS-E functionality so I decided to take some time and explain it. Be aware that described sections are available with firmware 0360 and up for Europe and 0110 and up for US. Older units need to be upgraded in order to enable those functions.

RADIO
In RNS-E you will have 3 different radio options (BANDS).

AM RADIO
FM RADIO
SAT RADIO

Everyone know features of first two so I will write few important details about Satellite Radio. It is working with 2 different Audi tuners:

8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
8E0 035 593 E/8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well

It is not going to work (I mean controll and display on RNS-E screen) with any aftermarket tuner, because all controll of the stations is done via Audi CAN-BUS protocols.

[table:586dd40529]
[row:586dd40529]
[col:586dd40529]

[/table:586dd40529]

NAME
This is pretty much your address book. You can store your all contact informations, addresses, phones, etc. This section is a part of NAV feature so whatever you will store here, it will be accessible from NAV section.
There is a detailed explanation for all NAME directory features in RNS-Manual.

CD / SD / TV
In this section we have initially 2 options: SD / CD
SD is responsible for playing and management of all your MP3s located on SD cards (as you know RNS-E have 2 SD card slots). You have few different view modes available to see either full MP3 ID tag information or search it by folders. You can also create your own playlists from MP3 files included on your SD card.

CD section shows information related to music CD. Usually there is not much to show on the screen because CDs are not able to hold ID tags, so in most cases you will see your songs as TRACK 1, TRACK 2 etc etc.
RNS-E is equipped with 1 CD / DVD slot so if you will ever want to play more CDs you will need mostlikely glove-box CD changer.
RNS-E will play MP3s from CD but it is not going to play them from DVD media (not sure why but maybe future firmware updates will enable this as well)

TV function is available (and shown) only if you have connected external multimedia interface. There is few on the market including Dietz 1417. This way you are able to connect DVD player / TV/ XBOX / Playstation etc to your RNS-E

TELEPHONE
Telephone feature is in my opinion one of the best features in RNS-E (after NAV of course). This is one of the best integrated phone system on the market right now. You have full Bluetooth capability not only to connect your phone with navigation and talk but also some of the phone features and informations are automatically transfered via Bluetooth to your navigation (like PHONEBOOK, SIGNAl STRENGHT or CALLER ID). Telephone section is also integrated with NAMe section so you are able to either call numbers from your PHONE or from your NAME directory.

To enable TEL feature in RNS-E you will need TEL interface, harness/adapter, Audi microphone and Bluetooth antenna.
Check PART NUMBERS section for more info about necessary parts.

NAVIGATION
This is main function of the system. I'm not going to explain whole functionality because it would take too long but as you see on th epictures you have plenty of options to plan and execute any trip scenario possible. I used many aftermarket NAV systems including latest DVD ones and I can easy say that Audi is a "top shelf" if it comes to speed of data calcuation, graphic quality and colors, easy of use and of course features.

SETUP
I guess it is not much to explain aboutthi scategory ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very nice Alex!

This makes me really want to get the bluetooth kit! :cry:

dbaser
:wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
So there's only one optical drive, but the maps are stored on DVD?
Does this mean that while listening to music you can't nav?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Devanl said:
No unless you listen to music from SD cards.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
PROXUS said:
Devanl said:
Lost count of the number of times this question has been asked ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
PROXUS said:
Devanl said:
Sorry to sound dumb, I know a lot of people refer to the older NAV+ as being the old DVD based system, but I see a map disc that comes with the RNS-E, what is this for? Does the system copy the maps to the SD?

Devan

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Devanl said:
Sorry to sound dumb, I know a lot of people refer to the older NAV+ as being the old DVD based system, but I see a map disc that comes with the RNS-E, what is this for?
I've NEVER heard the RNS-E referred to as "the old DVD based system" before!

There was an earlier CD based system called the RNS-D, and the newer A6, A8 & Q7 have a system called MMI that uses completely different map DVDs.

The map DVD for the RNS-E is used to upgrade the software to the latest version AND to provide maps - no DVD = no maps!

Devanl said:
Does the system copy the maps to the SD?
Absolutely NOT!

The map DVD must be present in the DVD drive ALL THE TIME you want navigation to be usable - even just following the map without an active route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for digging up old posts, but I have a question regarding the RNS-E..

I have the OEM analoge TV tuner installed with my RNS-E unit. Is there any way for me to get a second Video Source Input in order to use a dvd player ??? Or do I need to chuck the OEM tuner (which was quite pricey) and get one of the multimedia adaptors ???

Thank you,

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The TV has two aux inputs, you just need the adaptor cable, plenty available on fleabay or from kufatec

1 - 11 of 11 Posts