Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed DVD navigation unit and purchased from NAVTEQ DVD 2007 MMI disk. Now, as soon as I insert the DVD disc and hit Nav button it displays "Please check DVD navigation" on the MMI screen. Does anyone know what could be wrong? do I need to do coding via VAG tool?
Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: AUDI Q7 MMI DISPLAYS "Please check DVD navigation"

audi4man said:
I just installed DVD navigation unit and purchased from NAVTEQ DVD 2007 MMI disk. Now, as soon as I insert the DVD disc and hit Nav button it displays "Please check DVD navigation" on the MMI screen. Does anyone know what could be wrong? do I need to do coding via VAG tool?
Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a VAG-COM? Are there any fault codes listed in address 37?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: AUDI Q7 MMI DISPLAYS "Please check DVD navigation"

mksap11 said:
audi4man said:
Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a VAG-COM? Are there any fault codes listed in address 37?

I heard It doesn't require to do coding?? ( only RNS-E models) I guess I was misinformed? If it requires to do coding then my next step would be to purchase the correct I believe 16 pin to USB cable. I do have VAG-COM 311-2 . Is there documentation how to do coding?

One more thing how this gentelmen was able to install in A6 without coding? http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3075

I appreciate your reply

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that you needed to have a VAG-COM (I don't know). I recently had the same error message on my MMI as you that turned out to either be a bad disc, or an intermittent issue related to the cold.

The fault code that was generated in Address 37 (navigation) was:

1 Fault Found:
02927 - DVD Read Error
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 75
Mileage: 2533 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2007.01.30
Time: 07:39:59

Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x45BE
Hex Value: 0xF64F
Hex Value: 0x0201
Hex Value: 0x0000

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh, one more thing. The Q7s systems are all CAN based and require the use of a CAN capable cable from Ross-Tech (which, in turn requires VAG-COM version > 5, IIRC)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mksap11 said:
Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that you needed to have a VAG-COM (I don't know). I recently had the same error message on my MMI as you that turned out to either be a bad disc, or an intermittent issue related to the cold.

The fault code that was generated in Address 37 (navigation) was:

1 Fault Found:
02927 - DVD Read Error
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 75
Mileage: 2533 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2007.01.30
Time: 07:39:59

Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x45BE
Hex Value: 0xF64F
Hex Value: 0x0201
Hex Value: 0x0000
Hmm... in my case the disk is brand new. it doesn't have a single scratch on it. I got it from Navteq. paid $215 (incl tax).
It is hard to believe that the disk is defective.
I tried several new units and I get the same error. Should I wait until it gets wormer :) ? So, is it necessary to do coding for the first time?
I'm talking about a vehicle which never had Navigation module installed

·
Registered
53 Posts
audi4man said:
Hmm... in my case the disk is brand new. it doesn't have a single scratch on it. I got it from Navteq. paid $215 (incl tax).
I tried several new units and I get the same error. Should I wait until it gets wormer :) ? So, is it necessary to do coding for the first time?
I'm by no means an expert here, but I don't think that initial coding is required. The soft coding on my Q7's Nav unit is '0000000' and can not be modified.

I don't know if it'll help but here's the part number and version of what I have installed:

Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 888 D
Component and/or Version: MNS US H48 0970

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mksap11 said:
audi4man said:
I'm by no means an expert here, but I don't think that initial coding is required. The soft coding on my Q7's Nav unit is '0000000' and can not be modified.

I don't know if it'll help but here's the part number and version of what I have installed:

Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 888 D
Component and/or Version: MNS US H48 0970
I have different unit 4e0 910 887 c I do not have anything like MNS US H48 0970. Is that possible that I have European version? How can I determine if it's US or Euro module??

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you have access to a CAN capable VAG-COM? If so, scan the Nav unit. In addition to the part number, you'll see the component listed as well. If it says something like MNS ECE xxxx, then you have a Euro version. (which may explain why it isn't recognizing your disc)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mksap11 said:
Do you have access to a CAN capable VAG-COM? If so, scan the Nav unit. In addition to the part number, you'll see the component listed as well. If it says something like MNS ECE xxxx, then you have a Euro version. (which may explain why it isn't recognizing your disc)
Unfortunately I don't. I'll need to purchase the cable. I do have only software VAG-COM 311-2
So I believe there is no way to tell if it's Euro version by stickers which I have on the module it self. Correct?
I'll check that after I get the cable. I Also have a yellow sticker on the top of the module it says: DVD LW HX 27 mit FW 2.07 A. I'm not sure if that means something...

·
Registered
53 Posts
My unit (came factory equipped in my Q7) does not have any yellow stickers on it. On the right hand side of the drive there is the parts label and is marked:
Code:
4E0 919 887 D     HW 48              Typ: DVD/Navi
SW  4E0 910 888 C 096                Model No: BE 6313
              12 Volt                Serial no: xxxxxxxx
              074 JTB                EC: 101
                                     Accession No: xxxxxxx
So you may very well need a VAG-COM to pull the component info from it. Maybe others here with more experience/knowledge will chime in...?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Audi4man-did your nav end up working out?

I'm looking to retrofit nav into my Q7. Were you happy with your equipment? Where did you buy from?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Hey Audi4man-did your nav end up working out?

Chitown Q7 said:
I'm looking to retrofit nav into my Q7. Were you happy with your equipment? Where did you buy from?

I would be so happy with my equipment if it would work in my Q7. :) it seems like no one knows the answer here on this form how to resolve my problem. I'll probably go to the dealer and pay extra money for the installation. (These crooks charge $180 for the first hour) Who knows how many hours they need to do 20 min job or I'll purchase VAG-COM CAN cable to see if I have any errors in the system. I still didn't decide what to do.

I got my unit from friend of mine. I did see some brand new units on ebay incl DVD NAVTEQ 2007 disk. You will need to see if it still available here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=330079816779

Hope this helps

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mksap11 said:
Did you ever determine whether or not you had an EU version?
I noticed EU models have slightly different label with P/N, SW , etc.. I went to ebay dot de and found DVD nav modules on sale (on EU market) and by pictures I determined what labels are on EU models, so they are different not like on US module. I'm 99% sure that I have a US version.
So it has to be something else.... Someone asked me to check if this module will show up in Most ring... I'll check that on this weekend

·
Registered
65 Posts
One more thing how this gentelmen was able to install in A6 without coding? http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3075
I've retrofitted DVD-Navigation on MMI-high system and there was no problem at all. I didn't have to code the unit for the Navigation to work, but I had it coded by my dealer later. I did this because the MMI-system generates fault-codes if the navi isn't properly recognized by the MMI-system.

Are you sure you connected the DVD-drive in the right posititon of the Most-chain and that all fibre-cables are properly connected? And nevertheless that you have the right DVD (for MMI not RNS-E)? This retrofit was "a walk in the park" so I'm really surprised to hear about your problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
audi4man said:
mksap11 said:
I noticed EU models have slightly different label with P/N, SW , etc.. I went to ebay dot de and found DVD nav modules on sale (on EU market) and by pictures I determined what labels are on EU models, so they are different not like on US module. I'm 99% sure that I have a US version.
So it has to be something else.... Someone asked me to check if this module will show up in Most ring... I'll check that on this weekend

Have you checked the "Gateway Installation list" (accessed via the AutoScan) in your VAG-COM? That should tell you whether or not the NAV system is seen by the CAN gateway. If it says "Not Registered", you need to recode your CAN gateway.

Also, the NAV (#7 below) system should be after the R146-Digital Sat Radio (#6) and before the J525-Digital Sound System Control module (#8) in the MOST ring

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tintin4fun said:
I've retrofitted DVD-Navigation on MMI-high system and there was no problem at all. I didn't have to code the unit for the Navigation to work, but I had it coded by my dealer later. I did this because the MMI-system generates fault-codes if the navi isn't properly recognized by the MMI-system.

Are you sure you connected the DVD-drive in the right posititon of the Most-chain and that all fibre-cables are properly connected? And nevertheless that you have the right DVD (for MMI not RNS-E)? This retrofit was "a walk in the park" so I'm really surprised to hear about your problems.
I connected cables to the NAV module which were hanging in the trank on the right side. They are probably for Satelite module but I used them for Nav system..Do you think this is the problem? Those power and fiber cables fited nicely to the navigation module. And the DVD I have it's a MMI not RNS-E disk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mksap11 said:
audi4man said:
mksap11 said:

Have you checked the "Gateway Installation list" (accessed via the AutoScan) in your VAG-COM? That should tell you whether or not the NAV system is seen by the CAN gateway. If it says "Not Registered", you need to recode your CAN gateway.

Also, the NAV (#7 below) system should be after the R146-Digital Sat Radio (#6) and before the J525-Digital Sound System Control module (#8) in the MOST ring

Well unfortunately I don't have VAG-COM USB cable yet. I'm still looking to buy one.
I think the Gateway sees the module. When I press Navigation button at the corners on the MMI display I do see 4 menus and they all grayed out and at the same time it is trying to read the disk and then I get that stupid message "please check DVD navigation" When I disconnect Nav module and press Nav button then I get the message "please contact dealer" so I guess Gateway detects the nav system....
Do you know how to recode CAN Gateway? If you have documentation can you please send it to me? I would really appreciate that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.