Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if this unit will be available to purchase as a part from a dealer or only as an option during purchase of MMI equiped cars?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got this link in a spam from audi today:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/technology/Audi_Music_Interface.html

Sure looks like it is working on a MMI system. I know their first iPod kits earlier this year did not.

Being a noob at this, what prevents it from working in a RNS-E? Is it the firmware in the head unit or not having the correct connector on the back?

I appreciate your definitive "No." NSX Jr. but that is so against the spirit of this forum!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The MMI systems are transferring audio/video via fiber optic ring while the RNS-E is using a point to point copper cable. So it's a complete different system with no chance to work together without additional hardware.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
veteq said:
Someone might produce an interface so that the AMI will work with RNS-E. Just give it some time.
I doubt it.

The B8 A4 due in late 2007 or early 2008 will use MMI, the A6, A8 & Q7 already use MMI.

So it looks like the future is MMI - why should anyone spend time and money developing an interface for the RNS-E when it is "on the way out"?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yeloshak said:
I appreciate your definitive "No." NSX Jr. but that is so against the spirit of this forum!
Sorry I am un-spirited, but as Dirk says above, the MMI system is completely different from the RNS-E (even though the RNS-E claims to be MMI on the startup screen). The MMI system works over fiber optics and the RNS-E works over wires.

Besides, this question has already been covered about 5 times on this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see there is some interest on this AMI unit, but I guess nobody has an idea if it will be available as a stand alone part for purchase or only as an optional accessory in a new car with MMI?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ciccio21 said:
I can see there is some interest on this AMI unit, but I guess nobody has an idea if it will be available as a stand alone part for purchase or only as an optional accessory in a new car with MMI?
The audi website specifically says that it is currently available to order only with new cars and that a retrofit kit is in the works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.