Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering to retrofit the DVD Navigation (from kufatec.de) in my A6 Avant (I have MMI High and Color FIS). I have som questions though (excuse me for my bad english):

1. Is all the cabling done locally in the trunk or do I have to draw cables to the front dash of the car - causing possible damages to my interior?

2. Where's the best spot to put the antenna? Or should I go for the Sharkfish-antenna - does this mean that I have to drill a hole through my roof for cabling?

3. Do you have some tips, conserning the installation, to avoid beginners-errors? For example ....be sure to remove that screw before you try to... etc etc

Any help, ideas and suggestions would be appriciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I've only installed in Saloon's, but as far as I know, all the cabling is in the boot. The unit lives on the left hand side of the boot in the media tray. I had to get power from the fuse box on the right side of the boot and run a cable under the trim. Avant's may be slightly different.

The Avant media tray is a pig to remove. One bolt at the front is particularly low down.

The Saloon can have a submarine antenna as the glass of the rear screen is at an angle. But in the Avant you should install a sharks fin and I think if you specify Avant, Kufatec wil lsend a sharks fin antenna.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craigyb--> Thanks a lot for your answer. The sharksfin demands a drilled hole for the cabling through the roof, right?
Is it difficult to remove the fabrics on the inside before you drill? And is it difficult to put it back?

Maybe you'll find my questions very stupid, but I'm a totally newbie on this matters, and I don't want to destroy anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've bought the kit from kufatec.de and the new map-DVD from ebay. I'll come back with reports later...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Upgade with DVD-MMI nav.

You have no idea how easy that is to upgrade, I think it can be done in 20 minutes or so.

You'll know that when it's done

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New question

Everything seems to work fine! Does anyone know why I have to code the Navi into my system with VAG-COM(?) or go to a Audi-dealer to have the navi coded??

Of course I'm going to do this but I wonder why.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: New question

tintin4fun said:
Everything seems to work fine! Does anyone know why I have to code the Navi into my system with VAG-COM(?) or go to a Audi-dealer to have the navi coded??

Of course I'm going to do this but I wonder why.
Because you've changed the configuration of your system and you have to enable the right options in the software for the new configuration.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Everything will work, but in an A6 you need to code the CAN gateway to tell the car what options it has installed. There is no coding required for the NAV unit, just the CAN gateway module 19. It will be throwing up errors regarding what it can see.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts