Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Really a great forum. I have made my Install today, I couldn't have done it without your forum and your Help!!!

But do I get it right when all the necessary data comes only through the can H and can L wires? (I am going to connect these to my RNS-E tomorrow).

So the gala and the illumination also goes through this? Or is can h and can l a different name for "the illumination and speed sensor wires" (http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/a4b6dash.html

I would like to connect the 2 wires from the instrument panel to the rns-e. Is the above guide the right guide then? I am a bit confused now.

Really thanks a lot for your advice!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The CAN H & L carry a lot of signals in the form of high speed data, not only signals for the RNS-E.

The RNS-E needs the CAN H & L to communicate with the rest of the car - speed signal, illumination signal, signals to the DIS, ignition on/off signals, signals to the car to check whether to ask for the PIN code, signals to the Bluetooth phone kit, etc, etc.

The CAN H & L signals are very important!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

But then I Think this link is confusing:

http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/a4b6dash.html

Because, I think the only thing I have to do is Connect the 2 can cables from the instrument cluster to the CAN H and L cable on my RNS-E adapter. (maybe this connector connects to all the required input pins on the RNS-E itself.)

They don't use the CAN H and L names but I think the do mean it:

Pin Number Wire Colour Goes to Function
17 Gray/Blue Nav Plus lower 8 pin, pin 6 Illumination
21 White/Black Nav Plus lower 8 pin, pin 1, and 26 pin connector, pin 5 Speed (GALA) signal
What do you think? Are these (17 and 21) also the right cables for me? (No factory installed radio)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
They are talking about the RNS-D and not the RNS-E. The RNS-D needs the signals for light and ignition via discrete wires and not via CAN. If you don't have CAN behind the radio, you need to get CAN high from T32/20 and CAN low from T32/19 (T32=blue connector).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much:

Maybe dump question, but is there a standard way of knowing what pin 1 is? So if you say pin 17 what pin is that? Normally they are not numbered right?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There are tiny little numbers on the white insert in both the green and blue connector.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I just opened my t32 connector, and there are no cables on 19 and 20.

There are lila-orange and brown orange cables on 17 and 18. I Think this the the Komfort CAN.

Is this also ok, if I get the can h and can l from the Komfort CAN bus?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, the RNS-E needs the infotainment CAN. If there are no wires in there, get a repair cable from your dealer. Each repair wire comes with a pin on each end, so one repair is sufficient.

http://www.nsxjr.com/Audipins.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

1) If I have this cable, from where can I get the signal from if it isn't in my instrument panel?

2) So now in the end it looks for me that my only option is to go to the audi dealer and buy a K repair line and The CAN bus repair lines?

3) I have been driving around today with my install (without the can wires). And the RNS knows where I am. But it says "no digital road maps available". But I can see my roads, but the arrow does not know its correct direction (because I don't have CAN) and the arrows delays for some 1 minute before it is on the right spot again, and therefore my navi also does not give me directions. But later on, when I hit the highway it suddenly started working. And it did know al my streets. Any ideas how this is possible?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The instrument cluster is the center of the controller area network (CAN). If it's not there it's nowhere.

You can try to contact some of the seller here and ask if they some spare wires or pins but in general yes, the Audi dealer is the only sources for those wires/pins.

Without a speed signal the RNS-E will go after about 10 miles into a GPS only mode. Initially only checking the GPS every 5 minutes or so it wil then check fo rthe position every couple of seconds. But even with enough satelites and the gyro, it's far from being as exact as with a speed signal. Being "off road" is often a result of a missing sped signal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's not there it's nowhere
OK, but how do the repair cables work then? The can signal must be somewhere in my car right? How is the dealer going to fix this you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No dealer is going to fix this unless you know them very well or pay an insane amount of money. A repair wire is just a pin and a short piece of wire. You cut the wire in half, insert the pins into the correct position and then extend the wires to the RNS-E. You will also need to code your cluster to let it know that there is now a CAN based head unit installed. Otherwise it won't turn on the CAN bus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You cut the wire in half, insert the pins into the correct position
The point I still don't get is this: on one side is the RNS-E but where do the cables on the other side go to?

Is it maybe possible to give some steps I have to go through to get this working?

Very much thanks!!! You are really helping me to get this solved!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
These cables are for the other side. On the RNS-E side you have the RNS-E adapter. You do have an adapter harness, do you?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, i have the adapter. (Everything works, except for the CAN and the K line)

Which two sides are there then? (the rns-e on one side , but what is the other?)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
So, what's in the adapter where CAN and K line should be?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I think you mean that maybe the can lines are inside the ISO connector which I put in my old becker radio? (is there a way I can check this?)

(what do you mean with your question?)

I am really confused. In theory my car has CAN bus. Maybe audi has not prewired the infotainment bus in my car because i don;t have a factory installed radio?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you didn't have an Audi radio factory installed, neither CAN nor K line are in the ISO connector that you had plugged into your Becker. However, the proper RNS-E adapter would have come with three wires to be connected to the car. The two CAN wires that go to the instrument cluster and the K line that goes to the OBD plug.

It sounds you didn't get the proper RNS-E adapter but just a generic RNS-E adapter. Because of that you should check anyway if this adapter matches the requirements in your car. Take a look at NSX Jr's chart at http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf. While it's made to explain the wiring changes between a Symphony II and RNS-E it will still tell you what all the pins are for. Once you confirmed what wires are missing you can use another excellent reference chart NSX Jr created to locate the part numbers for thos missing wires: http://www.nsxjr.com/Audipins.html.

Make sure that you get repair wires for both sides if the wires are missing in your RNS-E adapter. If they aren't missing in the adapter you just need to get the repair wires for the car side and then extend those to the correct position in the RNS-E adapter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

All the wires are in the RNS-E adapter. So If I know where to get the CAN bus lines I can solder them to them. Because it seems that there is no infotainment bus behind the instrument cluster, I don't know where I can get it. (Do you know it?) So the main problem now is: Where can I get the CAN bus H and L signal from?

Second: Am I right that I can solder the k-line from the OBD to the RNS-e adapter k-line?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts