Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home my new 2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet with Nav and Bluetooth.

I have paired the BT with my Blackberry 7130e from Verizon. It is on Audi's list of compatible BT phones, although it does NOT sync the address book. I can receive incoming calls without a problem (just press the phone button on steering wheel to connect the call), and I can dial outbound calls from my phone (and they play through the BT in the car).

I have added a few names and phone numbers into the NAMES section of the Nav menu, and I would like to use Voice Commands to dial the phone by number (i.e. Dial 5-5-5-1-2-1-2) and by name (Dial Name...).

When I press and hold the phone button on my steering wheel, nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? Did the dealer neglect to "turn on" the voice command capability during prep? Does voice command only work with BT phones that sync the address book? (That wouldn't make sense to me).

Also, what (if anything) does the R/T button do (on the steering wheel)? When I press it, the dashboard display says something like "This button doesn't do anything" -- or at least something to that effect.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks...

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
The r/t button should toggle your cluster display between radio and telephone information. Of course, if your contacts list is not downloaded, then there is nothing to toggle to. If your phonebook worked, then you could scroll through your contacts list on the DIS and call the selelcted contact by pressing the phone button.

To initiate voice commands, simply press the telephone button, you don't have to hold it down.

There is a link in the quicklinks section to my previous post about using the steering wheel for telephone commands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NSX JR said:
The r/t button should toggle your cluster display between radio and telephone information. Of course, if your contacts list is not downloaded, then there is nothing to toggle to. If your phonebook worked, then you could scroll through your contacts list on the DIS and call the selelcted contact by pressing the phone button.
I thought this might be the case. So even though I have manually added some entries to the "NAMES" address book in the car, I won't be able to voice dial unless the car can read my phone's address book. Is that correct?

NSX JR said:
To initiate voice commands, simply press the telephone button, you don't have to hold it down.
Nothing happens when I press the telephone button (unless I am receiving an incoming call). I guess this is because it can't read my phone's address book.

NSX JR said:
There is a link in the quicklinks section to my previous post about using the steering wheel for telephone commands.
I'll search for it. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further thought

After mulling this one over, I still don't get something...

Since my Audi can't read my phone's address book, I certainly understand why I can't voice dial from said address book.

What I don't understand, however, is why I cannot voice dial numbers, or even access the "Help" functionality of voice command.

Shouldn't that work even if you can't view your phone's address book?

The Audi BT can dial my phone without a problem if I select a name or number using the dial on the Nav unit. Why can't I get the voice command to work?

Shouldn't I at least get the "Speak" prompt when pressing the TEL button?

Is there something that they dealer should have done to prep this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
IIRC the A4 Cabrio does not have the same voice control capabilities as the other Audis. I forgot if it's for SDS (that allows to control the radio/CD/navi functions also) only or also for the phone voice controls. I doubt that a factory installed BT kit is incorrectly coded but I wold verify with the dealer what features exactly are available in a Cabrio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Voice dialing has nothing to do with your phone's contact list. If you want to use voice dialing, you have to manually set up each name and number to create voice dialing entries within the bluetooth module's memory. Kind of like you have a separate phone altogether. I'm not sure why the voice dialing would not work for you. Even if it was not coded like that from the factory, I would think you can recode it to make the voice commands work. Check your coding, if it is xxxxx07, then change it to be xxxxx77.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NSX JR said:
Voice dialing has nothing to do with your phone's contact list. If you want to use voice dialing, you have to manually set up each name and number to create voice dialing entries within the bluetooth module's memory. Kind of like you have a separate phone altogether. I'm not sure why the voice dialing would not work for you. Even if it was not coded like that from the factory, I would think you can recode it to make the voice commands work. Check your coding, if it is xxxxx07, then change it to be xxxxx77.
I set up a few names and numbers in the NAME area, but can't seem to get any prompt to record a voice prompt entry.

I also cannot get it to let me even ask "HELP". It's like voice dialing isn't enabled in the car.

I don't understand your comment about coding (i.e. xxxxx77). Is that something that I can do from the MMI menus? Or does this require specialized equipment?

Sorry for my ignorance...this is all new to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
The coding I refer to is in VAG-COM for the telephone module.

The voice dialing has nothing to do with the "NAME" menu in the RNS-E. You have to save all the names and numbers for voice dialing within the bluetooth module by speaking the digits and the name through the "phonebook" voice commands. If your voice commands aren't working then you won't even be able to get close to doing this.

If your voice commands were working, then by pressing the telephone button (at any time you are not getting an incoming call), then the speakers would mute and you would get a little medium-pitched "beep". If you don't say anything for a few seconds, then the bluetooth lady will say "Please say a command". If you still don't say anything she will say "Cancel" and your speakers would un-mute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NSX JR said:
The coding I refer to is in VAG-COM for the telephone module.
Sorry...not sure what VAG-COM is.

Basic question: does the 2006 A4 Cabriolet with Nav and Bluetooth come with Voice Activated dialing? The Nav manual seems to say it does, but perhaps the manual is for several versions of A4, and perhaps the Cabriolet doesn't have this functionality?

If it does, should it work with ANY BT phone that it is able to pair with? (Even one that can't share address book info)?

From your last post, I think the answer is yes, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help and patience.

-David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
IIRC the A4 Cabrio does not have the same voice control capabilities as the other Audis. I forgot if it's for SDS (that allows to control the radio/CD/navi functions also) only or also for the phone voice controls. I doubt that a factory installed BT kit is incorrectly coded but I wold verify with the dealer what features exactly are available in a Cabrio.
Exactly the same thing happened to me when i got my A4. Voice dialling was not enabled because of incorrect coding from the factory. In fact, the dealer in his efford to activate voice dialling messed up with the entire BT kit and i was no longer able to sync my phonebook/missed/received calls.
That's the main reason i spent $500 (including customs taxes) for a VAG-COM cable...They were unable to restore it back because they had rebooted their VAS-5051 and it had lost it's logs...
My point is that it can be incorrectly coded at the factory!
This definately seems like a coding issue to me...

GrSpider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
grspider said:
Exactly the same thing happened to me when i got my A4. Voice dialling was not enabled because of incorrect coding from the factory. In fact, the dealer in his efford to activate voice dialling messed up with the entire BT kit and i was no longer able to sync my phonebook/missed/received calls.
That's the main reason i spent $500 (including customs taxes) for a VAG-COM cable...They were unable to restore it back because they had rebooted their VAS-5051 and it had lost it's logs...
My point is that it can be incorrectly coded at the factory!
This definately seems like a coding issue to me...

GrSpider
Wow. So did your story have a happy ending? Were you able to get everything working properly?

Are there specific instructions I should give my dealership regarding how to correct this problem?

Do you have an A4 Cabriolet?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top