Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am busy retrofitting a BT kit to my A4B7 but need an arm rest kit for charging etc. The kit I am fitting does not have an arm rest module or phone adapter

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Arm Rest & Cradle

Hi, I've almost finsihed fitting a BT + cradle kit to my allroad. I have used a Kufatec kit.

It depends on what you want to do. Just having a cradle to recharge the phone would be relatively easy - and if the A4 armrest is similar to the A6/C5 one I can explain how to dismantle it to hide the wiring.

If you want to use an external antenna (+ amplifier with the OEM Audi setup) then there may be a problem. There is only a very restricted range of cradles available (rumour has it that you need an Audi part, the BT control unit will not work with non Audi Cullmann cradles, for example - I don't know if this is true, it is only what i have read elesewhere).

The Audi cradles are only available for rather out-of-date telephones - I am using a Motorola V60, for example. This is fine if you have such an antique and just want your phone to make phone calls - the external antenna will give you better range from base stations than can be achieved by a phone operating inside the partial Faraday shield of the car interior - however, if you need more recent additional functionality on your phone, an Audi cradle is not at present a viable solution as far as I know.

As far as I know (and I'm a beginner ..) other than allowing the use of an amplified antenna, and charging the phone, the Audi cradle provides no additional functionality that the Bluetooth link does not provide. There are some reports that a few phones work better with the cradle than they do with the BT link. You can check the 'Known working" phone thread sponsored by Craig for the latest info on this.

If you happen to have an older phone, if you post or PM me the details I'll look it up on the latest info I have from Cullmann and Kufatec and see if there is a cradle available.

To repeat what I said at the beginning, if you just want to recharge the phone any charging holder for your phone will do, it can be mounted in the arm rest and fed with its own fused 12 volt supply.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm not really after the functionality of the cradle (ie not interested in integrating it into the BT system).

What I am after is the charging capability and to make the installation appear as stock as possible - for resale purposes later.

Is there a fused supply available under the armrest/in the centre console to which one can connect a phone charger???

The locals here are not interested in assisting me to try and find a cradle - they are just not interested in providing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, just got my full cradle set up working this afternoon. Trust me, a future prospective purchaser will soon realise if it is just a recharger! The cradle wiring is fully hidden.

In my allroad, there are plenty of fused supplies available under the centre console. Not a big help to you. If A4's have a rear mounted cigar/cigarette lighter in the console, you just need to tap onto it's power feed (please disconnect the battery when doing this). If not, you will obviously have to run the lead in. I'll have a sneak peak at my son's A4 tomorrow, and see if I can suggest something to help, but this must be an easy mod to do.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
half_a_florin said:
Hi, just got my full cradle set up working this afternoon. Trust me, a future prospective purchaser will soon realise if it is just a recharger! The cradle wiring is fully hidden.

In my allroad, there are plenty of fused supplies available under the centre console. Not a big help to you. If A4's have a rear mounted cigar/cigarette lighter in the console, you just need to tap onto it's power feed (please disconnect the battery when doing this). If not, you will obviously have to run the lead in. I'll have a sneak peak at my son's A4 tomorrow, and see if I can suggest something to help, but this must be an easy mod to do.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I'm installing the BT kit which will give the functionality :D - now just need to add the charging ability. :(

I have the cradle part number for the 6230 now just need the bottom piece to connect to the car for charging. I didn't get the Kufatec kit (exchange rate too crappy) so didn't get the "Halteplatte Ladeschale" or whatever they call the darned thing.

[/img]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.