Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring is correct, RNS-E of course "sees" the XM module. The preview channels come in fine. I have spoken live to XM people 3 different times for an activation refresh and have also used their online tool to refresh the activation about a dozen times.

Should I assume that the XM module is bad? Any other explanation at all?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Did you read RADIO ID code and update your XM subscribtion info?
They need to have current tuner RADIO ID in order to set XM service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PROXUS said:
Did you read RADIO ID code and update your XM subscribtion info?
They need to have current tuner RADIO ID in order to set XM service.
Of course. I started a new account with the radio ID. They have double and triple checked their systems and say that my radio ID is active on the network.

·
Registered
737 Posts
After they sent to signal, did you get to leave the car out in the open sky?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
todd1010 said:
After they sent to signal, did you get to leave the car out in the open sky?
Yes, of course. I tried this at home, at work, driving in between. I even uninstalled my XM antenna in it's original spot and put it up on the center of the roof.

In any case the preview channels come in fine so I don't think it is a view of the sky issue.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Does your XM tuner start up quickly or does it say "LOADING" for about 10 minutes and then go to the preview channel.

If it does not start up right away it is probably a bad XM tuner. I have seen a few of these in the past.

If it does go directly to the preview channel then it is probably an XM problem on their end. I have had a couple of problems in the past with XM not actually sending the activation signal even though they said they were going to. After repeated calls back to them they finally admitted that their computer system never sent the activation signal and that is of course why the tuner never activated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NSX JR said:
Does your XM tuner start up quickly or does it say "LOADING" for about 10 minutes and then go to the preview channel.

If it does not start up right away it is probably a bad XM tuner. I have seen a few of these in the past.

If it does go directly to the preview channel then it is probably an XM problem on their end. I have had a couple of problems in the past with XM not actually sending the activation signal even though they said they were going to. After repeated calls back to them they finally admitted that their computer system never sent the activation signal and that is of course why the tuner never activated.
I've seen it do both. Sometimes it just right to preview channel and sometimes (after unplugging/replugging for example) it does go to "loading" and "initializing" for a while before tuning in to the preview channel.

I've spoken to XM about 4 times (each time on hold for over 10 minutes) and they keep insisting that the radio ID is active on the network. If it were a problem on their end WTF am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you have seen the tuner say "loading" or "initializing" for minutes at a time (really anything longer than a few seconds) then your tuner is probably dead.

Also, I'm not sure what XM means by "active on the network". I do know that when you call XM they are supposed to send out a special activation signal through the satellite signal. This activation signal is only sent a few times over a short time period (like an hour). If your tuner misses the activation signal then it will not begin downloading channels no matter if XM thinks you are "on the network" or not.

I have been told by XM that this activation signal is NOT the same as the "refresh" signal that you can send from the net.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts