Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been lurking on the site for a while now and have found it very helpfull, my thanks to all who have gone before me and blazed the trail :D I have being playing around with a RNS-E in my 07 A3. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer.

1. The cars wiring harness has what looks like 2 antenna connectors, one with a large connector that I have attached to the adapter cable to one of the RNS-E antenna inputs, the other is much smaller and there was no provision on the adapter cable that I have for it to be connected to the Nav unit. What is the other connector for and should it be connected to the Nav units other antenna connection?

2. The sound quality does not seem to be as good as it was with the original Symphony II system, bass is not as punchy, nor does the system seem to adjust to ambient noise conditions. The car is equiped with the Bose sound system.

I have Vag-Com and I think I have made all of the changes necessary, as noted on this site, most everything seems to be working fine; Radio, Nav, Phone, DIS, all seem to be okay. If there are any suggestions they would be most welcome.

Cheers ... :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
couple of things:

1) sounds like you are missing the Sym II to RNSE antenna adaptor.
https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16142&cat=263&page=1

2) I wonder if your rnse harness is setup correctly for bose. Most of the folks on this site (bose/nonebose) have reported that the RNSE has a better quality/clarity of sound vs. Sym I/II etc.

See some of the docs on www.nsxjr.com for more details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TeddyBGame said:
couple of things:

1) sounds like you are missing the Sym II to RNSE antenna adaptor.
https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16142&cat=263&page=1

That is exactly the connector that I now have. But looking at the connectors from the cars harness there is a second smaller antenna connector that was originally connected to the Symphony II head unit that will not fit in the Nav unit.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
remove the curry colored plastic housing and insert the metal plug in the empty slot on the dual Fakra housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
remove the curry colored plastic housing and insert the metal plug in the empty slot on the dual Fakra housing.
I do not think there is enough slack in the cable assembly to allow for that. One question that has not been answered is what the other antenna cable is actually for?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It powers your diversity antenna selector box. It will fit in the other side of the white double connector if you remove the curry colored housing from it first. This is illustrated in many install guides found in the quicklinks section of this website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NSX JR said:
It powers your diversity antenna selector box. It will fit in the other side of the white double connector if you remove the curry colored housing from it first. This is illustrated in many install guides found in the quicklinks section of this website.
Thanks, had a look and found some good pics, I will check it out when I get home tonight. I also noted there were a few threads about the "Bose pin" and making sure it is grounded. Would the system still function without this ground?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts