Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the AMI's turned up today, 2x A6 and 1x Q7, so I snaffled an A6 one and whacked it into the A8, I utilized the A4 Ipod housing that I had been using with the Dension Gateway 500. Sorry about the pics quality, it was done on my K800i.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Dension is more flexible and cheaper. But I wanted to see the AMI working. If you were to go the AMI route and get a cradle of some sort, it costs around £525 and only have an Ipod interface.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you used the kit for the A6, can you somehow find the part number for it? Does it come with the cradle for the A6 or is that separate too?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One, the Ipod or you order USB or Aux input, but not all 3 at once.

·
Registered
128 Posts
USB input?

Does AMI have USB input (already)?

ps - Craigyb, is AMI compatible with monochromatic MMI?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it does have USB, wether it is available now or not I don't know. Only the AUX lead has a part number.

I don't know if the AMI is available for monochrome, I would go for the Dension which is now compatible with MMI basic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Although a4ss4abt member says GATEWAY as different behaviour with a 80Gb HDD and a 2Gb solid state memory, DENSION says it doesn't keep track position when changing to radio or turning the car off for more than 30s.

I thing this behaviour is unacceptable.

Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
craigyb said:
Well the AMI's turned up today, 2x A6 and 1x Q7, so I snaffled an A6 one and whacked it into the A8, I utilized the A4 Ipod housing that I had been using with the Dension Gateway 500. Sorry about the pics quality, it was done on my K800i.
Is the Q7 AMI kit you got a genuine Audi Upgrade as I didn't think this was available yet ?

Also, I assumed ( wrongly obviously ) that the A6 & Q7 AMI kits would have been the same but with different mounting kits ( Q7 OEM position is under the armrest ). Is this so ?

Last question ( for now ), I've been reading this forum for ages now....and you guys certainly know your stuff, but I've been unable to get my account registered due to problems with my ISP's mail filtering but what I really wanted to know is what is the latested MMI Software Version for my UK Q7 ? I currently have 2860 which is what my car had from new and it's build date was 12 Oct.

Thanks

Si

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3460 is the latest MMI for all A6/Q7/A8's

As far as I can see the parts are identical for all 3 cars for AMI as it is basically a CD changer chassis.

·
Registered
27 Posts
craigyb said:
3460 is the latest MMI for all A6/Q7/A8's

As far as I can see the parts are identical for all 3 cars for AMI as it is basically a CD changer chassis.
You have any pics of the supplied kit ?

Is it Genuine OEM brand new ?

You have the part number for the kit ?

Was the installation easy ?

Any recoding required ?

I have to get this ASAP as my 6 CD's are doing my head in.

Si

·
Registered
27 Posts
Found a pic of the retro fit

How or where can I fit this in my Q7 ?

Will this kit actually fit and pivoit in the Q7 under the armrest like this ?

As you have had both A6 and Q7 AMI's can you comment Craig ?

Si

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Si, I only have the electronics, not the cradle sets.

So I cannot comment yet, all I can say is the part in the first picture is the same for all 3 cars, but I suspect you need something more for the pivoting action in the Q7

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, I've been through the ETKA and found all the part numbers I think are needed to fit the "cage" bit under the armrest...Then the AMI looks like it simply slides inside it.

Plus, I wonder if under the armrest it's prewired for a CD Player with the same connections as the AMI ? If it is then I wonder if it's plug and play ?

Part numbers as I see it from the ETKA
Top Cover - 4LO 864 515 A ( Labeled 18 )
Mounting - 4LO 864 918 C ( Labeled 15 )
Plus various screws pins etc.

I'm not 100% sure but the mounting looks to piviot on the Armrest mounting ( Label 25 and Label 1 )

So what do you guys think ?

Anyone been under the armrest in a Q7 and seen prewiring ?

Si

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is not prewired, you need to run fiber to the back of the CD changer and power etc

·
Registered
27 Posts
craigyb said:
It is not prewired, you need to run fiber to the back of the CD changer and power etc
Dam, thats shame.

I've ordered the parts I highlighted above and they only came to about £30 so I'll report back if the install is easy.

Not being a massively technical person, am I going to have trouble getting power the fiber to the armrest from the CD Changer ?

Si

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have thought your main problem would be the connectors, have you ordered any fibre connectors or leads?

Basically you need a CD changer installation kit (as the AMI is basically media player 2 in your car) with longer leads. That will make it plug and play.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts