Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Bose SympII system before, the Bose amp is still used, does changing the head unit de- Bose me ?
Just curious, since the new unit sounds way better than before as many have posted.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I noticed that also, when switching from the Symphony II to the RNS-E. It has much better highs than the SymII.

I was very unhappy with the Symphony II and I came from a Symphony I which sounded much better. But with the RNS-E I'm very happy.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
s4for5 said:
I had the Bose SympII system before, the Bose amp is still used, does changing the head unit de- Bose me ?
Bose is a complete package of amplifier (with AudioPilot which changes volume and frequency response based on vehicle interior noise) and speakers.

Even if you don't code your head unit for Bose you still have all of that. Leaving out the coding for Bose means you have the head unit doing Gala AND the Bose amp doing AudioPilot - you certainly are NOT de-Bose'd.

·
Registered
996 Posts
This is one aspect of the RNSE that is greatly understated. In addition to all the nav / BT / sat / MP3 bells and whistles, you get a "higher" end headunit.

In the world of aftermarket car stereos, the quality of sound can be measured by THD (total harmonic distortion). The lower the number the better. I imagine the RNSE follows this same principle...but haven't seen a spec sheet to confirm.

Also, as a point of reference -- I have a 2001 A6 avant without bose and have been told many times that my RNSE sounds way better than any Sym II WITH Bose. And I'm still running the same crappy stock speakers that came with my car 5 years ago. Go figure. At some point, I'll swap out the door speakers with something better....but keep the same factory amp configuration.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts