Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Never before have I arrived into a new “scene†and been so overwhelmed with info. When I first arrived here a couple of days ago, looking for the answer to what I thought would be a relatively simple question, I didn’t know I’d be spending 5-6 hours, using the search button and google!

Anyway – on to my question.

I have just bought a UK 2004 Audi A4 1.9Tdi. I believe we call it here the B6 A4 . It has the standard radio system in it, the Audi Symphony II. Obviously (I didn’t know this) it’s know as a double DIN unit.

Also my Audi does NOT have radio steering wheel controls, something that I really miss.

I have read all about the DICE/Icelink/Blitzsafe connectors/adapters, but I am very UNimpressed with the fact that it appears you have to put all your “songs†into folders like CD1 thru CD6, there can only be around 99 songs in each folder, and that it possibly only plays songlists – something I have never used, nor wish to do so.

The main problem with the DICE etc seems to be that there is no way to see the name of the song/file you are currently playing.

This is where I need a little hand holding – so thank you if you can offer some assistance. This is what I would really like:

What aftermarket headunit can I buy, that will replace my double DIN Symphony radio, but not make my car look ridiculous? I will be happy to also entertain a single DIN replacement if, again, my car doesn’t look stupid afterwards.

My requests are quite simple. It must play MP3 cds (do DVD MP3 readers exist?), if it has an IPOD/SD card/USB stick etc connector even better, but not essential. I must be able to see what file is currently playing/selected. I understand that no aftermarket HU can display things to the Audi DIS so that’s something I’ll have to accept.

I would LOVE it to be able to be controlled by a steering wheel control paddle, but more about this below.

I am open to the idea of having a large video screen radio/media player that I’ve seen on other forums to fit the double DIN slot, but I actually don’t need, nor will I ever use regularly any DVD playing capabilities. If they are not too expensive though I could be tempted.

Finally, seeing as my Audi has no radio steering wheel controls, how do I go about getting this retrofitted? What are the options? A brand new steering wheel with buttons incorporated, or a device that attaches to the side of the steering column?

If there are any “Audi parts/radio supply companies†reading this who can offer me all of this in one package I can tell you now, you’ll probably have a sale! I’ll happily take some honest advice. My apologies for making this post so long, but I promise I haven’t been slacking using the search button – it’s just all of you have been writing alot and know too much! My brain is hurting, but not as much as my eyes…..

Thank you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can fit a single DIN stereo and get at adaptor to fill the other DIN slot (ebay)

If you want a modern MP3 unit that looks like it came with the car then check out Becker www.becker.de (the red LED ones obviously!) Has superb iPod integration.

About your steering wheel controls.... sorry no idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts