Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the last few weeks with the Alarm GND wire on my RNS-E disconnected... just to check the behavior of the unit. I have found that the unit still powers down less than a minute after the doors are locked. It also still does a soft boot up when the driver's door is opened. It appears that it gets this information over CAN, not from the alarm GND wire.

I think it is very important to note that if the RNS-E is installed into a vehicle that requires a CAN emulator, these "door" signals will not be present at the RNS-E. This means that the unit will likely take 30-60 minutes to do a hard power down after the car is turned off. This should not cause a battery drain problem as long as the amplifier is properly powered from pin D13.

I can find no other differences in operation with the alarm GND wire disconnected. I suspect that this wire is only used to include the RNS-E physically into the alarm protection of the car. For instance, if the alarm is set, then the RNS-E is unplugged (esentially disconnecting the alarm GND wire) then the alarm would be triggered.

More testing to come...

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my Volkswagen, here's the current situation. (this was a retrofit into a 2004 VW R32)

The unit powers up when the driver's door is opened. (the backlight comes on, and I hear the speakers go pop) Starts with the car, stops with the car, but stays on for like 15-60 minutes after I lock the car. The car's alarm, currently, is not "chirping" with the keychain when I press the lock button... which is a pain but I will find a way to make that work sometime today.

Thank you for your research, I'll be doing some as well :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts