Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 4GB AGL SD card from eBay basically for the price I got it at $50. I guess it is true you pay for what you get. When I first received the card and tried to format it Windows told me that the format could not complete. Since then can not access the card. I can not format it either. I guess it will be going back. Any other ideas on what is wrong. Suggestions are welcomed. What is different between generic brands and name brands such as SanDisk?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you have never used a 4GB card, try another reader first. My 4GB was not recognized in my cheap SD reader (the 2GB and 1GB I have were fine) but moving to another reader (in my case another laptop with build-in reader) allowed me to use the card.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have to seperate readers in which I was getting the same error. At first it would not format then I got it to format but it would follow a cycle where after a certain amount of information was put on the card it would become inaccessable and I would have to try and format it again. I have also tried two computers. I am still skeptical as to how the card can be corrupt but I am definitely having troubles.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Since the errors appear to be dependent on what data is on the the card I would suggest that it's a low quality MLC card. All MLC cards can suffer to some extent from data dependent errors, but yours seems so bad as to be unusable.

I would return it as faulty and not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, also when I try to upload say 500mb of music on another 4 GB card that I got half way through the upload the card basically ejects itself from the computer and it is not recognized by the drive anymore. Any idea to that issue?

·
Registered
345 Posts
AudiA4B6US is spot on my 4 gb sd card would not format above 1 gb in my 2 differant readers but tried it in a reader that supports sd and sdc and it works perfect i was told to get a reader thats supports sdc as this is the high capicity sd card format

·
Registered
345 Posts
this is the link to the same one i bought from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/23-IN-1-MEMOR...6QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43450QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note it supports 19. SD SDC (Secure Digital SDC)

It works perfectly with my 4 gb sd cards and allows me to format to 4 gb and view the card at 4 gb, just to remind you the RNS E will only accept 500 files regardless of size so if you use a 4 gb sd card you can only have 500 files including the folders of the mp3's if you put them in album order so for example i have on one of my cards 30 albums with various numbers of songs in them but the total size is 3.4gb so i have 600meg left free but the albums mp3s and folders total 500. another way to get round this is to rip an album without gaps between the songs so its like one mp3 file of the whole album but drawback is you cant skip tracks but you can get alot more music on your 4 gb card

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
livefour2day said:
just to remind you the RNS E will only accept 500 files regardless of size so if you use a 4 gb sd card you can only have 500 files including the folders of the mp3's if you put them in album order so for example i have on one of my cards 30 albums with various numbers of songs in them but the total size is 3.4gb so i have 600meg left free but the albums mp3s and folders total 500.
To be 100% accurate the limit is 512 - 2 to the power of 9.

·
Registered
345 Posts
PetrolDave said:
livefour2day said:
just to remind you the RNS E will only accept 500 files regardless of size so if you use a 4 gb sd card you can only have 500 files including the folders of the mp3's if you put them in album order so for example i have on one of my cards 30 albums with various numbers of songs in them but the total size is 3.4gb so i have 600meg left free but the albums mp3s and folders total 500.
To be 100% accurate the limit is 512 - 2 to the power of 9.
what do you mean 2 to the power of 9 sorry if i am thick but dont understand

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
livefour2day said:
what do you mean 2 to the power of 9 sorry if i am thick but dont understand
2 multiplied by itself 9 times.

2 to the power of 1 = 2
2 to the power of 2 = 4
2 to the power of 3 = 8
etc.
2 to the power of 7 = 128
2 to the power of 8 = 256
2 to the power of 9 = 512

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
So across two cards you can have 1024 files, which would make 2 x 2GB cards a more sensible option than a single 4GB.
Why?

I use 2 x 4GB cards with approximately 30-35 CD's per card (ripped at 320kbps) - this wouldn't fit onto 2 x 2GB cards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry I worded that badly, what I meant was that, if you only need 4GB of space in total, then 2 x 2GB makes more sense than a single 4GB as you can store twice as many files. Obviously if you need more than 4GB then 2 x 2GB isn't going to work :)

I'm getting RNS-E with my next car but don't have it yet and am curious. What file formats will the unit play, is it just MP3? Also, is 320kbps the maximum bitrate it will support and will it cope fine with VBR MP3s?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was wondering if by using playlists one could overcome the 512 file limit. The playlist would have the directory path to the file. While the player couldn't resolve more than 512 files the playlist would contain the necessary file structure to resolve the extra files.

I doubt this would work but you never know.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
bfly said:
I was wondering if by using playlists one could overcome the 512 file limit. The playlist would have the directory path to the file. While the player couldn't resolve more than 512 files the playlist would contain the necessary file structure to resolve the extra files.

I doubt this would work but you never know.
Nice thought - but it doesn't work that way. The RNS-E has to read in the complete folder structure of the card - that's what it's doing while the menu is showing "Loading".

BTW the playlists come out of the 512 file limit too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts