Audi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this question's been posted already. Have my RNS-E installed (in 05 S4), everything's working fine (it's the US vers). Noticed that my RNS-E adapter (from Kufatec) is a little different than what's shown on their website in that there are the two black adapters and one red adapter coming out from the big black one (sorry this is so un-technical); I don't have the light blue adapter in the harness, which is fine I guess since everything's working.

My question is now that I'm looking to add a CD changer cable (for Phatbox) and a Parrot bluetooth, where will those connect to on the harness? Will the CD changer plug into the currently unused second black adapter? I could probably check the schematics and see how each input is represented and used, but I hate to pull the unit back out and un-connect everything. Would just like to know in advance of all that.

Thanks for anyone's help, I'm sure the knowledgeable people on here have an answer.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The Quadlock adapter which goes into the RNS-E, usually contains a blue connector for the CD changer and a green connector for the phone prep. If you ordered your adapter without CD changer and phone support you may not have either of those two. The red plug from the RNS-E adapter contains usually the wires for the CD changer and phone prep. The one black plug is for power and some other things, the second is for the audio pre out (for BOSE and active speaker systems).

You should be able to get a special CD changer cable which goes right into the RNS-E Quadlock adapter (blue plug), as well as a special phone prep cable with a green plug. Kufatec has both on their web page as far as I remember.

·
Registered
4 Posts
where

i am looking for the rsn-e adapter for an 2003 a4 cab that will accept telephone, in dash cd and an ipod cable. do you have the link to where on kufatecs website?? or pm me? thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: where

bmelian said:
i am looking for the rsn-e adapter for an 2003 a4 cab that will accept telephone, in dash cd and an ipod cable. do you have the link to where on kufatecs website?? or pm me? thanks
Did you take a look at the For Sale forum? Should find something there.

If you upgrade to the RNS-E you will lose the in-dash CD-changer. If you want to play CDs and a single CD in the DVD drive is not enough, you would need to get the glovebox CD changer (plus new glovebox). If you have a CD changer connected, connecting an iPod or pBox is not possible without a special cable which switches between the two sources.

I would recommend to go with the RNS-E first and put your 6 CDs on a 1GB SD card. This way you have the CD changer port left free for either an iPod or pBox and don't need any custom cable. If you want to listen to CD once in a while you remove the navi DVD and use the internal DVD drive.

If you order you RNS-E adapter you can specify that you want to get the CD changer and phone wires too, something I would recommend even if you don't have either of both right now. But this gives you the option to upgrade later.

And if you don't find what you are looking for under For Sale, do a search for Kufatec or Deventer and you will find many hints to where to go to order the adapters.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
You should be able to get a special CD changer cable which goes right into the RNS-E Quadlock adapter (blue plug), as well as a special phone prep cable with a green plug. Kufatec has both on their web page as far as I remember.
I got the special CD changer cable from Kufatec.

However, you can't just replace the existing B blue plug with the one on the end of the CD cable - you have to swap over up to three wires - pin 3= vehicle speed signal (not A4), pin 5 = L diagnosis (VAG-COM connection) and pin 7 = BOSE coding.

The special CD changer cable also has an earth tag which you have to connect to the radio ground tag behind the centre console.

Similarly with the phone prep cable - the C green plug also has 5 of the connections for the amplifier (LF, RF, LR, RR & GND) plus the reversing light (not A4) which would need to be moved over. Since the phone only uses 2 wires (LF- & LF+ - pins 6 & 12) I'd be tempted to swap them into the existing C green plug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
RE:

Can someone please post a link or a picture of this special cdc adapter/cable from kufatec?

I have searched their website and the "search" area and have no luck, or it could be because I was searching for it 2 in the morning.

Is it possible to have a sticky for part numbers and tricks and etc. for hooking up a cdc to rsn-e (in my case it is s4b6 symphony II with bose)? Just a thought...

-T

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would recommend the following: Get the CDC cable for the Symphony II to glovebox changer, insert the wires into your exsting Symphony II connector and make sure it works. Then get the Symphony II to RNS-E adapter with CDC support. This way you can leave the changer in the car, completely OEM, but still have the RNS-E which you may remove when you sell the car. The cable you are looking for in this case is this one:

Wechslerkabel Audi Handschuhfach

Or, you can get the CDC cable for the RNS-E. But in this case everything is tight together adn you can't remove the RNS-E but leave the CDC in the car. The RNS-E cable is this one:

Wechslerkabel RNS-E Handschuhfach

Note the different blue plug, the Symphony II plug is ISO and you would insert the wires into the existing 20pin connector in your car (the wires are not plugged into the blue ISO adapter, in case you have a solid black 20pin connector in your car instead of the 3 piece yellow/bluw/gree connector. The RNS-E adapter plugs into the Quadlock connector for the RNS-E.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts