Audi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just received today from Connexx my PNP connector to RNS-E.
With one quick look to adaptor I notice that I do not have wire to GALA (V-signal, connector B Pin 3).
This is correct ?
I have one A3 8P0 Novenber 05.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That's fine you don't need a separate V-signal in the 8P.

Please check each connection in your harness before plugging into your car to save some possible troubles down the road.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NSX JR for your reply.

After instal my RNS-E I will leave a feedback here to all of us.

Thank you

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Just cross-check my recent PNP adaptor RNS-E with information from site http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf and major connections seem to be correct. I just have some question: :roll:

- Don't have conection to Alarm GND from connector D pos 14 to connector III pos. 2; I should connect, right?

- From connector B pos 5, I have one wire with no connection (K-Line). Should I connect to connector III pos 3?

- Regarding connector D pos 13 is connect to connector I pos 6; pos 16 I do not have any connection. This is right?
I read here that if those connectios are wrong can dry the battery...

Can you please confirm to me those issues?

TIA

Audi A3 8P0 MY 2006

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, your alarm GND should be connected.

In the 8P you may not need the K-line since your car has CAN diagnostic capabilities. I would connect it anyway just to be sure.

If your D13 and D16 connections are correct based on my chart, then they are correct, period.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NSX JR said:
Yes, your alarm GND should be connected.

In the 8P you may not need the K-line since your car has CAN diagnostic capabilities. I would connect it anyway just to be sure.

If your D13 and D16 connections are correct based on my chart, then they are correct, period.
OK, thanks for you input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I also have a 2006 A3 (8P) 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line and I yesterday received a navigation adaptor (No BOSE, No CD-Changer & No Mobile Phone) and antenna adaptor from the very helpful Lanny at Euro Parts.

I have gone through the wiring as per NSX JR's excellent diagram and my issues are;

C3 to Connector 1 Pin 4 (Line Out FL) absent.
C9 to Connector 1 Pin 5 (Line Out FR) absent.
D14 to Connector 3 Pin 2 (Alarm GND) absent.

D13 is connected and D16 is correct (i.e. no connection).

Given that I am not technical enough to do any modification to the adaptor myself are the above issues serious enough for me not to use it?

Also the GPS antenna which came with the RNS-E unit I acquired does not seem to be compatible with the antenna adaptor. This is because whilst the connector on the GPS antenna looks right the squared off section is taller than the connection on the antenna adaptor cable and therefore it will not sit in place properly. Am I doing something wrong or should I just find another GPS antenna with this slightly diffent connector?

Apologies if any of the above makes no sense as I do admit to being fairly clueless at all this but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Since you don't have Bose the FL & FR connections missing doesn't matter - they are only used with Bose.

Does your GPS antenna have a Fakra connector?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for replying does the lack of Alarm Ground connection cause a problem?

The connection on the GPS Antenna looks as if it should fit perfectly except for it being just a few millimeters taller than the almost identical radio antenna connector which is already in place. This means that when inserted into the adjoining space in the radio adaptor it will not lock into place as it stands proud instead of flush.

I did go into Maplins this afternoon and they had a GPS antenna which might work as it only had the cylindrical female connector without the squared off bit on top of the connector which is causing the problem. Although if you know of any precise model of GPS antennas which are known to fit I would be grateful if you could let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
mactrack said:
Hi,

I've been running mine without one for a year without problems but if you like send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can send you a wire that you can simply plug into the respective sides. I'm going to start putting that wire int othe new adapters from now on if the car has the correct pin out.

I also have FAKRA GPS antennas.

Cheers,

Lanny

·
Registered
996 Posts
BayrischerS4 said:
mactrack said:
Hi,

I've been running mine without one for a year without problems but if you like send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can send you a wire that you can simply plug into the respective sides. I'm going to start putting that wire int othe new adapters from now on if the car has the correct pin out.

I also have FAKRA GPS antennas.

Cheers,

Lanny
Nice work Lanny. Thanks for being proactive about this. :)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
mactrack said:
In a reply to another member of this forum Kufatec said it doesn't matter if the alarm line is missing.

I'm not sure I believe that - since the alarm line connection is shown in both the Bentley and erWin manuals, and is in place on cars from the factory. I don't know for sure if it's essential, but I added it to my adapter anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has helped and particularly Lanny at Euro-Parts who kindly sent another set of adaptors when the first shipment went missing (I hope you have been able to claim some compensation from USPS or they have been returned to sender) and also offering to send the alarm ground wire.

I am keen to do the installation this weekend so I am going to get that other GPS antenna (as they said I could return it if it was not suitable) and see how I get on. I will of course post to advise how it all goes.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
mactrack said:
Thanks to everyone who has helped and particularly Lanny at Euro-Parts who kindly sent another set of adaptors when the first shipment went missing (I hope you have been able to claim some compensation from USPS or they have been returned to sender) and also offering to send the alarm ground wire.
That's why it's worth dealing with one of the trusted sellers here - like Lanny, Proxus, SteveZ1, Haaggie, powertony, etc (apologies to anyone I've missed, but those are the names that spring to mind).

·
Registered
21 Posts
As an update I installed the RNS-E on Saturday and the most difficult bit was getting the Symphony II out. The removal keys I had bought were cheap and for love nor money could I get it to come out. I drove to my local Audi service centre hoping to buy some genuine VAG keys but they did not sell them so the very helpful guy offered to remove the unit with their keys. Even he could not do it so he took it into the workshop (I was waiting in reception) and a couple minutes later he was back and one of the mechanics had got the job done.

Once back home everythng kind of fell into place and it was very straightforward to install. The radio and MP3 information does display in the DIS (by the way should this information scroll across the screen?) and the MFSW only controls the audio functions but no route guidance info was displayed on the DIS. I am therefore assuming that I need to get my car VAGcommed as well (some people have reported that their cars worked without any coding).

When driving along I noticed that the map is displaying my position as a few metres behind where I actualy am (i.e. I have just passed a turning and the map displays that I am at the turning). As this is the first sat nav system I have had I do not whether the positioning is supposed to be spot on or thereabouts (which it is).

Again everyone's help in this forum has really been appreciated.

Thanks

M

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
mactrack said:
Once back home everythng kind of fell into place and it was very straightforward to install. The radio and MP3 information does display in the DIS (by the way should this information scroll across the screen?) and the MFSW only controls the audio functions but no route guidance info was displayed on the DIS. I am therefore assuming that I need to get my car VAGcommed as well (some people have reported that their cars worked without any coding).

When driving along I noticed that the map is displaying my position as a few metres behind where I actualy am (i.e. I have just passed a turning and the map displays that I am at the turning). As this is the first sat nav system I have had I do not whether the positioning is supposed to be spot on or thereabouts (which it is).
Unfortunately the radio and MP3 information does NOT scroll - you have to get all the useful information on MP3 track names into the first 8 characters (that's why I use playlists).

You need to get the adaptation value of the instruments in your car changed with VAG-COM for the NAV guidance to appear on the DIS.

GPS is only accurate to a few metres and the position information is being updated every second or thereabouts, so your position being shown as just behind where you actually are is OK (remember that at 60mph you are moving 88 feet per second).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts