Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B6 A4 and want to get at my XM tuner in the trunk. In this http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec83.shtml article the author says he used a butter knife to pop off the cover to gain access to the tuner. The gaps around the plastic panel are very small and I can't even get a butter knife in there very far. How do I pry this cover off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There are two small slots on the bottom of that tray. You need to stick something in both slots (like radio removal tools or a thin screwdriver) then pull the tray out. There are little plastic catches down there and the tools you insert will release the catches so the tray will slide out. Its a PITA but it can be done.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Unless it looks like this, then is a major PITA to get the tuner out because you have to remove the whole trim to gte the black box out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. My tuner location looks exactly like the picture in the link in my original post. NSX Jr., thanks for that hint, that's exactly what I needed. Believe it or not, I'm doing all this to check the part number of my XM tuner in preparation for my RNS-E purchase and installation. I know most likely I don't have the "E" tuner that works with the RNS-E but I want to make sure before I go out and buy one.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You know that yoyu can see the part number with VAG-COM, do you? I think it was address #XF of #X0.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn, I was misled by the link I posted in my original post. I thought the picture was showing where the XM tuner is located when it comes from the factory, but as I learned this morning it's accessible by just popping off that plastic cover. I'll have to go through more work as someone already suggested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.