Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two days of research on this board (and I must say there is LOADS of GREAT information on here), I still managed to screw up and buy a RNS-E unit on E-bay for an A6. The problem is that I have an A4/B6. The part number for the unit I purchased is 4B0 035 192 R. Is there anything that can be done to make this unit work in my A4? If so, would I be losing any functionality whatsoever?

Appreciate all the help and info. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
First of all faceplate is different. A6 faceplate is wider than A4 B6. (If you need original A4 faceplate I can switch with you.)

Rest of the electronics is pretty much the same, but you will need recode your unit for A4 with VAG tool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that seems like great news for me. I'd love to take you up on your offer of swapping the faceplates. I'm guessing that it's fairly easy to remove? As far as recoding the unit with VAG tool...wouldn't I have to to do that with a compatible unit anyways? I am planning on taking it to the dealer to have them do it. Hopefully they will acccommodate me. Otherwies, any helpful suggestions on whre to go? I read your post on VAG, but can't seem to make good sense of it. Maybe it'll make more sense once the unit is in front of me and hooked up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
996 Posts
otisore said:
After two days of research on this board (and I must say there is LOADS of GREAT information on here), I still managed to screw up and buy a RNS-E unit on E-bay for an A6. The problem is that I have an A4/B6. The part number for the unit I purchased is 4B0 035 192 R. Is there anything that can be done to make this unit work in my A4? If so, would I be losing any functionality whatsoever?

If you have an "R" unit.....than that should be a US-model.

Also, the 4B0 (C5 A6) requires gala/speed signal as an analog...vs. over the canbus....(like the B6/B7 versions)...however, I think someone was able to recode the hardware from a C5 to B6/B7 version...or vice versa.

Personally, if you have a B6/B7...I would just sell the unit that you have or swap it....for the right one. Why hack up the faceplate.

Just my .02. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TeddyBGame said:
otisore said:

If you have an "R" unit.....than that should be a US-model.

Also, the 4B0 (C5 A6) requires gala/speed signal as an analog...vs. over the canbus....(like the B6/B7 versions)...however, I think someone was able to recode the hardware from a C5 to B6/B7 version...or vice versa.

Personally, if you have a B6/B7...I would just sell the unit that you have or swap it....for the right one. Why hack up the faceplate.

Just my .02. Good luck!
That's helpful and the sort of info. I was looking for. I'll probably just buy another unit and try unloading the one I have on Ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.