Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It seems the appropriate RNS-E unit for an A3 8L is the A6 unit (4B0 035 192 P).

It has been done a few times over in Germany but has anyone on here attempted the fit?

Any problems?

Would be great if someone on here has done it as it's to hard to communicate to Germans if you don't speak it :s

Thanks guys
David

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since noone seems to have done it does anyone know how it differs from a normal retrofit besides needing to get a double din cage and modify the climate control fascia?
Would it be plug & play?

Any help would be great :)

Thank guys
David

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There was never a RNS-E for the 8L and therefore modifying the faceplate will be more work that usual. Electrically it should work if the 8L is a facelift model that already has CAN. The speed signal may not be part of the CAN messages so taking the 4B0 RNS-E is more likely to work than taking an 8P0 or 8E0 RNS-E. But some have reported that proper coding may allow the 8P0/8E0 RNS-E to use the speed wire too.

This is probably going to be more work than in any of the car that had the RNS-E as factory option. You should be pretty good in using a dremel tool and sand paper.

Looking at the posting on A3-freunde.de, one guy took the A4 RNS-E because it was a better fit in his 8L S3.

Makes sense since the A6 unit has a smaller gap at the top of the faceplate and the 8L double DIN cage may match the A4 B6 cage better than the A6 C5 cage.

Your 8L should suppport CAN if you can code #17 channel 62 to 5. If that's not possible you will need a CAN adapter to convert the discrete signals for speed, light and ignition into CAN messages for the RNS-E.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
Electrically it should work if the 8L is a facelift model that already has CAN. The speed signal may not be part of the CAN messages so taking the 4B0 RNS-E is more likely to work than taking an 8P0 or 8E0 RNS-E. But some have reported that proper coding may allow the 8P0/8E0 RNS-E to use the speed wire too.

This is probably going to be more work than in any of the car that had the RNS-E as factory option. You should be pretty good in using a dremel tool and sand paper.

Looking at the posting on A3-freunde.de, one guy took the A4 RNS-E because it was a better fit in his 8L S3.

Makes sense since the A6 unit has a smaller gap at the top of the faceplate and the 8L double DIN cage may match the A4 B6 cage better than the A6 C5 cage.

Your 8L should suppport CAN if you can code #17 channel 62 to 5. If that's not possible you will need a CAN adapter to convert the discrete signals for speed, light and ignition into CAN messages for the RNS-E.

Good luck.
Wow thanks for your time in helping me :)

I have a 2002 A3 Turbo with Chorus radio. You wouldn't know if its standard to have CAN in this model would you? I don't have the equipment to check those codes your refering to (unless you don't need any equipment? :roll: haha)

So are you saying the A4 RNS-E would be the best fit or the A6? Because I'm pretty sure the A3/S3 share the same interior so it would be the same as the one you posted.

Although you said the A6 would have a smaller gap at the top?

Also if my car has CAN would that mean everthing else should be plug and play?

Sorry for all the questions I appreciate your help :)

Thanks
David[/quote]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
First: I have never done an 8L install myself and I have never seen an 8L with RNS-E, everythign I say is based on what has been posted somewhere.

The A3/S3 should have the same interior, if it fits the A3 it should fit the S3. Pull your radio and check if you have wires in connector I pin 7 and pin 12. If you do you have likely CAN. Check thew wire colors, one should be orange/purple (high) and the other should be orange/brown (low).
Based on what has been posted, the A4 RNS-E is the best fit for the A3 8L. You will still need to modify the faceplate a lot. The picture is posted shows the gap at the top if an A4 unit is used. If an A6 unit is used the gap will be bigger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
First: I have never done an 8L install myself and I have never seen an 8L with RNS-E, everythign I say is based on what has been posted somewhere.

The A3/S3 should have the same interior, if it fits the A3 it should fit the S3. Pull your radio and check if you have wires in connector I pin 7 and pin 12. If you do you have likely CAN. Check thew wire colors, one should be orange/purple (high) and the other should be orange/brown (low).
Based on what has been posted, the A4 RNS-E is the best fit for the A3 8L. You will still need to modify the faceplate a lot. The picture is posted shows the gap at the top if an A4 unit is used. If an A6 unit is used the gap will be bigger.
Ok gotcha, I will try and remove the radio to check when I can...

Faceplate modifications aside, if I have CAN, electronically would the A4 & A6 unit be the same install wise?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Supposingly yes. The only difference is that an RNS-E coded to an A6 needs a speed and revers wire. Several postings point to the possibility that an A4 unit can be coded to A6 and then use the speed wire instead of speed over CAN but I haven't seen a final confirmation yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the A6 unit would be the safer option electronic wise?

I have looked at the German thread and found this:

is that the A6 unit with a chrome...I can't seem to understand the traslations :S

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
With either unit you have to modify the sides because both are wider. The chrome strip is not OEM, it's from Home Depot or so.

I would start trying to code the instrument cluster #17 channel 62 to 5. If that value is accepted you can use the A4 unit without any additional adapter. If you can only code 4 then you won't have the radio/mp3/cd data shown in the top two rows of the DIS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
With either unit you have to modify the sides because both are wider. The chrome strip is not OEM, it's from Home Depot or so.

I would start trying to code the instrument cluster #17 channel 62 to 5. If that value is accepted you can use the A4 unit without any additional adapter. If you can only code 4 then you won't have the radio/mp3/cd data shown in the top two rows of the DIS.
I forgot to mention my car doesn't have DIS :oops:

so if I check that I can code the instrument cluster #17 channel 62 to 5, it should all be dandy and it should all be plug and play?

Thanks again AudiA4B6US!

I know it must get fustrating being asked all these questions but I want to let you know I appreciate it very very much :)

Cheers
David

p.s. Hopefully after it all becomes successful this thread can become the referal point for all A3/S3 8L RNS-E retrofit Q's, seeing as though there are no specific threads related at this time :twisted:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking through the A2 install by Craig and there are a few mentions of A3/S3 8L install info in there that I thought might be useful for all the electronic savy ppl:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=972

craigyb said:
I dont intend to go into any detail on this as all the answers are on the forum, but basically you need an A6 nav unit for an A3 8L car.

Code it as an A6, not A3, if you code it A3 it will not work.

Get your gala/speed pulse from the cluster, cant remember which connector / pin off the top of my head. But it is there.

Use canbus for ignition and illumination.

Get the right adaptors for your car, bose/non bose etc and antenna adaptors, test it electrically for functionality and when your happy, physically install it in the car.

That's what I would do.
None of this really means anything to me yet but it's good to have it for reference later...

Craig seems to think A6 Unit is the way to go?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Here are some pics of an A6 unit in an A3

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Thanks Dirk

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts