Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to install my RNS-E next week. After reading TeddyBGame's wonderful walkthrough I was left curious about the Reverse Signal. Is it used for anything currently or are you connecting it in case future software revs and/or hardware wants the signal?

Rich

·
Registered
996 Posts
It tells the RNSE that you are going in reverse. I didn't install it before (10 months without it) but finally hooked it up over the Summer.

I must say, it is nice to have. Especially, if you are navigating from point A to B and you have to turn around in a parking lot (go in reverse etc). The reverse signal will be sent to the RNSE and it will help you the unit to better calibrate itself....in this scenario.

Without it, in this scenario, your RNSE might take a bit longer to recalibrate itself and "zero-in" on your current position.

As you know, the analog Reverse signal only needs to be connected in:
- 1998-2005 C5 A6/S6/RS6/allroad
- 1996-2002 B5 A4/S4/RS4
- D2 A8/S8
- A3 (older generation; not current A4 platform)

FYI - this signal is already present via canbus in B6, B7 and new A3.

Also, in Lee's research, he has found that the location of this signal/lead/wire in the C5 with tiptronic. We are still unsure if this is the same source with a manual tranny. I have hooked up the reverse signal in a B5 S4 with 6 speed (based on Lee's previous research) and found it to be functional. Your mileage my vary.

Peace out!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The reverse signal is required to keep your RNS-E happy. If you don't drive revers a lot it probably doesn't matter but each time you do and the RNS-0 won't notice because the revers wire is not connected, it wil get confused and try to calibrate itself based on the GPS data it receives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Thank you gentlemen. It's great to have this competent information available. I will go ahead and hook it up in my car, even though it's a stick.

Have a great weekend,

Rich

·
Registered
30 Posts
Silly question for this thread....How do you know if the reverse wire is connected or not? Is there a VAG setting that gives that indication?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.