Audi Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On a bit of a roll tonight, not only have I found a great 250GB disk for my AMI, but I've also resolved the DAB reception issue with a quick rewire of the antenna connections to the glass and the addition of a ground wire to the antenna module pins.

I added TV a few days back, but that seems to have similar issues to the DAB where the antennas are open circuit or short to ground. I need to convince Audi to let me rip the back out of an A6 Avant to check the antenna wiring to the glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BT SAP, SDS, DVD are all in the 670 unit as explained in my post.

The A8 is probably the hardest install of all. Especially a 2003, to make it work fully you would also require a new HVAC, can gateway, new antennas and glass for the rear.

I have a 2006 A8L with Bose, Bluetooth, 4 zone climate. Would I also need to get a new rear window, new antenna, new hvac? I am still trying to get a handle on all the parts that are needed, pardon my lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes you would

·
Registered
3 Posts
Craigyb, where you take from cables for 3G stuff? (I mean especially cables for screen-main unit) - those at audi shop are terrible expensive... ](*,)
Next question is: what about component protection of main unit, radio+amplifier unit (no bose installed) and new can-gateway? (what exactly can gateway for a6 4f will I need? - "G" type?)
Will I have problems with audi dealer with it ?
Actually I got all parts (main 666 unit, radio+amplifier, mp3 changer, screen) except cables.
If my old bluettoth device will not work - what should I think of?
regards
_Mross

·
Registered
156 Posts
Will the a4/a5 conversion require a new CD changer? On the 2010 models I believe the changer now has SD card slots?

Jake

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No it doesn't have SD slots.

The CD changer has been replaced by the Main head unit in the dash now, so it has DVD/SD/TEL/NAV/SDS/AMI all in the same module. If you want a 6 CD it would be fitted in the glovebox where the old AMI module used to go.

It is labelled MultiMedia.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No it doesn't have SD slots.

The CD changer has been replaced by the Main head unit in the dash now, so it has DVD/SD/TEL/NAV/SDS/AMI all in the same module.
So, doest it mean all MMI 3G come with AMI as default? As far as I can remember, the guy at the dealer showed me model with MMI Navigation Plus (isn't it official name for MMI 3G??) with out Music interface. I (or he) could be wrong but that's what I recall.
If you want a 6 CD it would be fitted in the glovebox where the old AMI module used to go.
The old CD changer from the MMI 2G could be fitted in there? Cheers!!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No and no basically.

The AMI has to added and enabled under SVM

The old CD changer will not work, it has to be a 3G CD changer with newer software.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks Craig

What sort of money are we talking about to upgrade an A4 then?

Jake

·
Registered
260 Posts
No and no basically.

The AMI has to added and enabled under SVM

The old CD changer will not work, it has to be a 3G CD changer with newer software.
Hold on Craig, I kept my old mp3 changer and it works perfectly with the 3G system

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's good news, but the A4 CD changer fits in the dash where the 5F unit goes and it won't fit into the glovebox without a new face plate.

I suspect the 2G CD changer and Hybrid TV tuner do actually work with 3G, but popular belief is they do not. But I think you should use 3G parts to be fully compatible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good to know that at least the CD changer could be reused. Again, I don't see any huge benefit though as 10GB jukebox available to use. How long does it take to copy a entire CD?

So, what sort of price we are looking at for 3G upgrade? Cheers!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
An A5/A4/Q5 CD changer cannot be reused as it has a different shape faceplate. You would have to replace that and I don't know of a source of new faceplates.

A6/A8 CD changer could be reused if it was new enough.

I have no pricing for A4/A5 yet as I cannot get hold of the 5F units at a decent price in RHD format.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good to know that at least the CD changer could be reused. Again, I don't see any huge benefit though as 10GB jukebox available to use. How long does it take to copy a entire CD?

So, what sort of price we are looking at for 3G upgrade? Cheers!!
I experimented with the copying/ripping and I think the best thing is to copy from DVDs, of course it takes time according to the volume of music you wanna rip in. And if the Navi is working the process seems to slow a little bit.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Good call, a new glovebox would be required though a lot cheaper.

If you place the new 5F unit in the glove compartment like in the A6 the cd-changer can stay in place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It does not work all parts of the 2G with 3G. Bose amplifiers and hybrid tuner must be of the 3G.

I have the 2G Bose Bverstärker tested. He is recognized but no more. It has clearly changed and the electrical connection.
On TV, it will be identical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
does every 3g unit got bluetooth built in? i saw many units...some with 2sd slots and 1 for telephone sim...and some with just 2 slots for sd cards. What is the diference between them?

·
Registered
868 Posts
There are two version sof £g, one with built-in HDD for the sat nav, and the other that uses the DVD, the DVD version does not have the Sim option, where as the HDD version has a Sim card option, but both units still have Bluetooth.

does every 3g unit got bluetooth built in? i saw many units...some with 2sd slots and 1 for telephone sim...and some with just 2 slots for sd cards. What is the diference between them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are two version sof £g, one with built-in HDD for the sat nav, and the other that uses the DVD, the DVD version does not have the Sim option, where as the HDD version has a Sim card option, but both units still have Bluetooth.
Are you sure?? My friend got a HDD version of 3G (we didn't find the Nav DVD anywhere in the car, and he also got Jukebox option, so we assumed it's HDD version) but he doesn't have the head unit with SIM card slot. The only SIM slot I'm seen in a picture was a German Audi. Cheers!!!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts