Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just converted my A6 (which started as MMI basic +) to 3G, the previous owner (EddyH) had done a basic to high conversion, but I wanted 3G and so went and got a screen, control module and radio, a new can gateway and some connectors to mod it all. (Can gateway issue to be resolved as I'm using the new 20 pin gateway, but will probably have to go back to the 26 pin)

The car has the basic sound system fitted so I though the best thing to do was make a connector between the MMI 3G radio quad lock and the old amp plug, using a radio mute lead I made the relevant cable adaptor set, this allowed me to go back to the old setup if it all went terribly wrong.

Then I made an adaptor from the MMI basic quadlock to the 3G quadlock, again so I could revert if necessary. The MMI basic quadlock was still in place from the original MMI basic setup, so it was easy to unplug the MMI 2G adaptors and plug in my new harness,

These adaptors are straight forward enough, but you need a special qualock for the radio and some repair wires for the 2 power pins.

Next I made a screen power lead and bought the screen lead from Audi. Plugged it all in and bam up came the MMI 3G, the radio doesn't work and requires new antenna modules, the DAB is tempremental, but again a new module is required.

I added the AMI lead into the top of the glovebox, and fed the RVC into the quadlock, the car doesn't have PDC yet, but the RVC works ok without it.

I haven't changed the AC panel or the MMI panel yet, these are on the way, and I'm also looking at a colour cluster upgrade as this one is red. The AC still works and can be controlled from the MMI or the AC panel.

So the spec is as follows....

MMI 3G, SDS, RVC, AMI, DVD. 2x SD cards, SAP phone and HDD nav.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great stuff as always but a question if I may.What success have you had and to which 5f units have you added the Ami interface lead to.May have a job for you (incorrect factory order)and I will send you a log as soon as poss.Regards Jon

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have successfully added AMI leads to many 5F units 3G HDD and DVD based ones.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This upgrade was not that expensive as I bought second hand parts for the most of it. I guess you could do the minimum for around £1500, you would get DAB for that as well. If your car has BOSE then you need a new BOSE amp on top of that.

There is currently a complete system of Nav unit, screen and Radio with DAB on ebay for 850 euros, it's not the top end 670 unit though, it's the 666 unit without SAP phone.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your car have BOSE?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FM radio & also TMC issues are resolved, just working out why the DAB is still broken after a new antenna installation.

·
Banned
48 Posts
WOW!

This is really amazing! I am impressed.

I have so many questions. Can I ask a few...

1.) The graphical screen layout. Is that coming from the software in the headunit? Do you need to replace the headunit? I have the one with FBAS connector for TV. Can I reuse all that?

2.) How do I update the software?

3.) Can I reuse my AMI ?? Is it still only connected to the MOST or is it connected differently. In ETKA I can see a cable. Is that required? And where is it connected?

4.) DAB is part of the RADIO now. Does that mean, the "old" DAB tuner module will be ignored?

5.) The HDD NAV, is that a new trunc module and what role does the MultiMedia unit play?

6.) Same goes for BlueTooth. Can I reuse the existing module under the seat and what does the multimedia unit do?

Hope you will take the time to answer my stupid questions.

Thanks a bunch
Lars.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically throw away all of your existing MMI setup including the can gateway.

1.) The graphical screen layout. Is that coming from the software in the headunit? Do you need to replace the headunit? I have the one with FBAS connector for TV. Can I reuse all that?

No, the 07 HU is now defunct and is removed. A new high res screen is required.

2.) How do I update the software?

You cannot, it is a new system, that can be updated but not 2G to 3G

3.) Can I reuse my AMI ?? Is it still only connected to the MOST or is it connected differently. In ETKA I can see a cable. Is that required? And where is it connected?

No your AMI is defunct, a new AMI cable is required as shown in ETKA and the AMI module is in the Multimedia.

4.) DAB is part of the RADIO now. Does that mean, the "old" DAB tuner module will be ignored?

DAB radio is now defunct and should be removed, DAB is built into the radio.

5.) The HDD NAV, is that a new trunc module and what role does the MultiMedia unit play?

No, it is the Multimedia unit 5F, that replaces HU 07, Tel 77, SDS 6C, NAV 37, AMI and adds DVD player, SD cards slots, HD Nav and Jukebox.

6.) Same goes for BlueTooth. Can I reuse the existing module under the seat and what does the multimedia unit do?

No, see note 5 above.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Thanks for the answer Craig.

That does really help me better understand the setup.

Just one thing that I am not totally clear on. And that is the TV option.

In ETKA HU07 4E0...729A is still mentioned for cars with TV. Also the Hybrid Tuner is still mentioned.

Can I reuse the tuner? And where does it go? Into the Multimedia unit? Does that require the FBAS socket?

How is your rearview camera connected.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Multimedia unit has FBAS and camera inputs, the TV tuner is not compatible with 3G, as I said, throw away all your existing 2G setup and replace with 3G parts.

·
Banned
48 Posts
OK!

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm wanting to upgrade my 2G MMI in my 2009 S5 to a 3G MMI. As I understand this I can use most [if not all] of the same parts as you. Could you give a part list of what all is needed to do this retrofit? I understand the CD player will probably be a little different because mine sits above the climate control.

I really want to start compiling a list so I can do this sometime before the end of the year. I can't seem to find a definitive list of parts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Multimedia unit has FBAS and camera inputs, the TV tuner is not compatible with 3G, as I said, throw away all your existing 2G setup and replace with 3G parts.
I can transform TV HYBRID TUNER MMI 2G ( 4E0910148 ) to MMI 3G ( 4F0919129 )

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm wanting to upgrade my 2G MMI in my 2009 S5 to a 3G MMI. As I understand this I can use most [if not all] of the same parts as you. Could you give a part list of what all is needed to do this retrofit? I understand the CD player will probably be a little different because mine sits above the climate control.

I really want to start compiling a list so I can do this sometime before the end of the year. I can't seem to find a definitive list of parts.
I have on sale MMI 3G to Audi A4/A5:

a) Audi Multimedia - 8T1 035 666 = 700 EUR
b) Audi Multimedia - 4E0 035 670 = 1000 EUR
a) Radio Unit - 4F0 035 053 = 200 EUR
b) Radio Unit - 4F0 035 056 = 200 EUR
c) Radio Unit - 4E0 035 053 = 200 EUR
d) Radio Unit - 4E0 035 061 = 400 EUR
a) Display-Unit - 4F0 919 604 = 450 EUR
b) Display-Unit - 4E0 919 604 A = 500 EUR
4. TV Hybrid Tuner - 4F0 919 149 = 500 EUR
5. BOSE - 4E0 035 223 M = 400 EUR

A4/A5 - 8T1035666+4F0035056+4F0919604=1200 EUR
A8/S8 - 4E0035670+4E0035061+4E0919604A+4F0919149+4E0035223M=2500 EUR

·
Registered
402 Posts
kris: your private mailbox is full! so I can't send you a private message.

My question for you is:

I have an Audi A8 4E with MMI 2G: the following hardware have been installed:

BT SAP

AMI

TV hybrid

I have not BOSE.

SDS.

DVD (connected on AUX 1 of the TV).

I have seen you have A8/S8 - 4E0035670+4E0035061+4E0919604A+4F0919149+4E0035223 M=2500 EUR for sale.

Several questions:

1/ difficult or not to replace?

2/ What happend for: my BT SAP, SDS, DVD?

Thank's.

Pascal, FRANCE

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BT SAP, SDS, DVD are all in the 670 unit as explained in my post.

The A8 is probably the hardest install of all. Especially a 2003, to make it work fully you would also require a new HVAC, can gateway, new antennas and glass for the rear.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank's for your answer cragyb.

Pascal/ FRANCE

1 - 20 of 80 Posts