Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is possible to replace the original bi-xenon headlights of an A6 2005 with the LED headlights from the A6 facelift? What about the RS6 headlights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I checked with the dealer, they say it is possible to replace them, but they will not do it for me, as Audi does not let them replace parts for a model with parts that are not made for that specific model (I'm not sure that I express clear the idea, I hope you understand it)

So the replacement must be done at a non-dealer service, with no warranty from Audi for the good functioning of the parts purchased from them (at least, that’s the situation in my country)

There had been some discussions on other forums – the replacement involves not just the headlights but some other components and modules.

A list of those (in German) can be found on Tagfahrlich des Facelift nachrüsten : Audi A6 4F
Unfortunately “Google Translate†was not very helpful with translation of technical terms, and I am not a native German (or English) speaker, so that's why I did not try to translate the list for you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know that a Audi dealer not do things like this, I was thinking of doing it myself, if the light's fit and you don't have to change the bumper to.
Do you konw what other part you need to change?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should look at least at the 6th page of the link I provided.
There is a list of needed parts (and their prices according to ETKA).

Using Google Translate the list looks like this:
- Gas discharge lamp for headlights € 1212.70
- Control unit for headlight € 673.54
- Zundgerät gas for € 201.56
- D3 xenon burner € 327.60
- Cable set of ECUs the headlamps € 145.18
- Control Wiring € 215.39
- Gateway Control Wiring for € 272.51
- Output module for wiring for Vehicles with mechanical
adjustable steering column € 215.39

I suspect that those are not all "proper" English expressions. I see that you are from Norway; maybe trying to translate the list from German to Norwegian it will make more sense to you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did this and failed!
Got the xenons units from Germany, got them in but then realised they need halogen to xenon convertors
Got this from Kufatec ... lights worked fine...sort off.

Even after the vagcom changes, the lights did not work properly
From memory, I could not use the beam, and I could not use the lights next to the xenon ones (daytime?)

Also had bulb out warnings randomly

I >think< indicators worked fine but it was a while back

Anyway...after a few weeks ... gave up and reverted back to standard

Also even if they did work, they would not level (manually or auto) because the manual link was gone, and the auto required various parts such as the suspension level sensors etc. It was becoming a much bigger job

New car has them installed thankfully!

Note: These were genuine OEM's and not HID retros found on ebay!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did this and failed!
Got the xenons units from Germany, got them in but then realised they need halogen to xenon convertors
Got this from Kufatec ... lights worked fine...sort off.

Even after the vagcom changes, the lights did not work properly
From memory, I could not use the beam, and I could not use the lights next to the xenon ones (daytime?)

Also had bulb out warnings randomly

I >think< indicators worked fine but it was a while back

Anyway...after a few weeks ... gave up and reverted back to standard

Also even if they did work, they would not level (manually or auto) because the manual link was gone, and the auto required various parts such as the suspension level sensors etc. It was becoming a much bigger job

New car has them installed thankfully!

Note: These were genuine OEM's and not HID retros found on ebay!
I was a litle worried about this, did you have Xenon orginal on your car?

·
Registered
147 Posts
No, the originals were Halogens (but had the projectors)
What I had bought was the complete housing/unit for the A6, including motors, ballasts, bulbs etc

(so not just a bulb/ballast addition that the cheap aftermarkets on ebay offer)

And without the autolevel etc, its an MOT failure anyway ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am really sorry!
I completly mis-read this query and saw it as Xenon retrofit!

Disregard everything I said...what I did was to convert from halogens to xenons

OK in your query, I attached those cheapy looking LED lights to my sidelights without any issues

However, In germany, I noticed they are selling the proper headlight units (xenon) with the LED lights already inside them
They are genuine Audi parts

From the explanation, it is for the 4F range too ... I have requested more information on this

My hope is that the adapter is the same in which case it should be a straight swap of the units

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was thinking about the headlight units from the A6 2009 mod would fit in my 2007 mod without changing the bumper, and if the elctronics are the same, plug and play..........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Soon as I get a reply from the guy who is selling the 2009 ones, will report back
I too am interested in this that's why

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a quick eye comparisment i found that 2009 headlights are bigger in size than the old ones, and i doubt they will fit, but the rs6 heads are seems to be fine. And i like them more. Actually i have this idea of changing too but still no progress :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good morning,

I have just bought two new A6 Leds headlight (the one with 6 Leds), with non-Adaptative Light, to install them on my 2005 A6, fitted originally with Bi-xenons and Adaptative Light.

1-First step, after having removed the bumper, I have installed one headlight to see if sizes are the same than the original one. And it is fine:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/gasy/Premireapproche.jpg

2-Second step : coding and wiring modification:
I have heard that to retrofit these Leds headlights, there are two main modifications:
- new coding thanks to Vag-Com.
- a wiring modification should be done.

For the coding, I think I have found it. In Controller 9, the 3 (bi-xenons with AFS) has to be changed to 5 (Leds DRL):

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/gasy/CopiedeAdaptationmodule09.jpg

But wiring modification is still a problem for me (if a change has to be done)!!
I have seen that there are two wires more (one is ground) for my non-Leds 2005 headlights in comparison with the Leds ones. The rest seems the same.
I am wondering if these two wires more are dedicated to the Adaptative light ?

Has anyone heard anything about this wiring modifications?

Thanks for your replies.

Gasy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good morning,

I have just bought two new A6 Leds headlight (the one with 6 Leds), with non-Adaptative Light, to install them on my 2005 A6, fitted originally with Bi-xenons and Adaptative Light.

1-First step, after having removed the bumper, I have installed one headlight to see if sizes are the same than the original one. And it is fine:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/gasy/Premireapproche.jpg

2-Second step : coding and wiring modification:
I have heard that to retrofit these Leds headlights, there are two main modifications:
- new coding thanks to Vag-Com.
- a wiring modification should be done.

For the coding, I think I have found it. In Controller 9, the 3 (bi-xenons with AFS) has to be changed to 5 (Leds DRL):

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/gasy/CopiedeAdaptationmodule09.jpg

But wiring modification is still a problem for me (if a change has to be done)!!
I have seen that there are two wires more (one is ground) for my non-Leds 2005 headlights in comparison with the Leds ones. The rest seems the same.
I am wondering if these two wires more are dedicated to the Adaptative light ?

Has anyone heard anything about this wiring modifications?

Thanks for your replies.

Gasy
Are the Leds headlights from a A6 or RS6, do you have the partnumber, did the bumper fit after you change the headlight?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a guy here in sweden that have retrofitted the A6 2009 LED headlights to his car. They fit perfectly and he had to buy a controlunit for the LED to get it working found on ebay.. he never tested with vagcom and those codings!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a guy here in sweden that have retrofitted the A6 2009 LED headlights to his car. They fit perfectly and he had to buy a controlunit for the LED to get it working found on ebay.. he never tested with vagcom and those codings!
Hi,
Du you know the partnumber for the controlunit?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello,

Are the Leds headlights from a A6 or RS6, do you have the partnumber, did the bumper fit after you change the headlight?
My part number is : 4F0 941 003 CN.
It is the new A6 FaceLift headlight, of 2009, with the 6 leds in it.
I have installed one Leds headlight, reinstalled the bumper, and it fits perfectly!!

The same for : can you communicate the part number of this controlunit.
Did he have the original bi-xenon headlights before?

Thanks.

Gasy

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 20 of 127 Posts