Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an A4 B7 (2006) it should have come with TMC and BT prep but..... didn't.

After reading other threads on the site I now know how to install BT.

Can someone please help me with how I can go about installing TMC? Is it a seperate unit? or is it firmware/software that needs to be loaded.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no TMC for the RNS-E in the UK. If it gets ever released it will be software only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TMC is now working in the UK

The loan car that I had had a functional TMC unit in it. So it is a software issue rather than a hardware unit.

If that is the case then any idea if the VAG-com software will give me what I need?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What model was the loan car and what Navigation Plus (CD or DVD) was installed there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A4 avant

Nav plus DVD unit looks identical to the one in my new A4 saloon.

I didn't look at the nav disc in the loan car unit though! Is the software on the disc then? or is it a bit of both?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I guess I have to refer to CraigB and PetrolDave, they are the Uk TMC experts here.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm not 100% convinced with your answer what the loan car was yet, I have had that from several people when borrowing A6's with working TMC, I get an email asking why I haven't supplied the latest disk to them yet.

AFAIK: there are no TMC enabled A3/A4's yet.

But, having just put BT into a B7 A4 cabby this afternoon, the client tells me his local dealership (mine too) are going to enable the TMC for him if he brings the car back in.

I have asked him to drop it around when they have completed the job. But as they replaced his RNS-E with an uncoded one and lost his BOSE setup etc, well I suspect they are talking out of there back sides.

I wait in hope

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm I'm sure I'm not loosing my marbles

I am back into the dealership sometime soon as my vehicle was delivered with a small rip in the drives seat.

For my own sanity I will check with them the vehicle I used.

BTW seeing as you have obvious knowledge of the BT interface. Are you aware of any places to get the BT module second hand i.e. breakers etc as I'm trying to be a tight arse and spend as little as possible.

Brasic after just buying A4 this month!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
They occasionally come up on ebay, currently there are 4 "G" revision modules on ebay. These are NA modules, but I really suspect they will work in Europe, but I don't want to spend the money finding out.

A complete kit is about 549 euros from Kufatec

·
Registered
159 Posts
Craig, please please keep us updated on this A4 as if it does, by some miracle, come back with TMC enabled this will be a momentus occasion.

I live in the desperate hope that my new car will be delivered in December with working TMC but frankly I think I've more chance of winning the lottery. Even if they're in a position to enable it now I presume they'd not release another disc this year?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Traffic Message Channel, in Europe broadcasted over the air as part of the RDS message block. TMC makes the RNS-E to re-calculate the route if there is to much traffic.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Several of us from rs246.com have been in touch with Audi UK regarding TMC in the UK on A4's.

Their latest official statement (it changes regularly!), is that a SW upgrade "should" be available before the end of 2006 and will be made available through dealers. But the bad news is that it looks like they will be trying to charge us for it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well I hope it is the end of this year or beginning of next as I take delivery of my new car at the beginning of December and if the TMC upgrade becomes available a few weeks after then I think I'd have a damn good case if the dealer tried to charge me a fee to enable it! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
One other thing that occurs - did we ascertain that the R8 does indeed have an RNS-E rather than MMI, just with a different control layout?

If so then hopefully this will spur Audi UK on to getting TMC sorted more quickly as I doubt many customers shelling out £80k will be very impressed at the lack of it on their nav systems!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
sharky said:
Lambo RNS-E has TMC anyway, but the nav discs aren't compatible. Audi UK have no excuse, they were just being cheapskates, but hopefully it'll be sorted before long.. we live in wait!
If the Lambo RNS-E has TMC, why didn't someone try to load the Lambo software on their Audi RNS-E? Does anybody have that DVD or the software on that DVD?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts