Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I opened the panel in the trunk of my car to see where the cables for the sat radio are and I only found one antenna cable. It's a green one.
I looked at the pictures of the sirius units and there are two antenna connectors! Any ideas?
Thanks for any replies.
Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked again. The the sat radio harness is wired together and there is only one antenna connector in this bunch. The other harness goes to the brack lights I think. I'm just worried that the sirius radio I am about to guy will not work with my A4 2007. I had my hand in the panel and there does not seem to be any other cables.
Anybody put a sirius receiver in a 2007 A4?
Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Does Sirius use terrestical repeaters like XM? If not, maybe Audi dropped the brown plug that is used - IIRC - only for terrestical signals.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Take a picture of the unit.

And take a picture of the Sirius tuner when you get it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
it is possible that Audi finally moved to the single wire antennas like the rest of the sirius world. This could only be confirmed by checking out the new sirius tuner module to verify it indeed only has one antenna connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to buy a sirius receiver off the web and now I'm thinking twice. Why does the receivers have two antenna connectors.
We should get some audi techs involved in these forums.
Thanks for all the replies.
Sean

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Because when sat radio first came out all receivers had two antenna connectors, one for satellite signals and one for terrestrial repeater signals. The newer tuners have both signals combined over one antenna wire. However, since auto manufacturers had already produced tuners with two antenna connectors it is easier for them to stay with one style to prevent confusion between model years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume that it will be good to connect the green antenna to the green
connector on the box. I am waiting for my unit to arrive and as soon as it does I will post a reply and a pic.
Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad news. I called the local Audi dealer and they said that the 8E0 057 593 D receiver is not the correct par # for the A4 2007.
I will be getting a 8E0 057 593 D receiver and will probably just sell it again.
Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
So, what part number did they say is the correct one? We had someone with an RS4 and a "F" Sirius receiver. But I think he never took it out and we never got to why the part number had changed. Maybe the "F" receiver has only one FAKRA conenctor for the SAT antenna and that's the answer to all of these questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was stupid not to ask him for the part #. I told the guy I got the receiver from a friend and was not sure if I could use it or not with my A4 2007. When I get it I will try and connect it up with just the one antenna and see what it does.
I hate it when this happens.
Thanks for all the replies.
Sean

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you really do only have one antenna connector, then the two-antenna tuner you bought will not work properly. You will likely get an antenna fault showing on the screen and at the very least you will be operating at a reduced efficiency because you wont have any terrestrial repeater signals being fed into the tuner.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's possible to use an aftermarket xm spltter from crutchfield.com for $30.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jOFfmCEi1wB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=251750&I=003XM1DAS

However the single (line in) Fakra on the splitter (pink side) won't match up with the Green one that he has only found. Therefore, you will need to remove the green plastic FAKRA connector that surrounds the smb/coax cable to the roof fin.

This could be a quick fix...but I'd rather see how the dealership responds with the new part#'s.

Good luck!
-Ted

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok guys here is some info for you on the sat radios for 2007 Audi models

check your wiring before you order anything because the early 2007's had the 2006 M.Y. setup

if you only have a green anttena wire you must get a OEM tuner that has only the green connection for the anttena if you get a tuner that has both anttena leads(green and brown) it will not work

also Audi does not offer XM for 2007 M.Y. so if you have only a green antenna wire you cannot use a OEM XM tuner since Audi does not offer one that works for this setup

i am thinking about trying to use an older tuner and running the 2nd anttena wire but i do not know if this will work

also this applies to ALL 2007 Audi models( i have tried a 2007 S8, 2007 S6, and a 2007 Q7 and failed to get the old style tuner to workin any of them)

that splitter in the above post might work since i always get antenna faults that point to the brown lead if the tuner see both connections it might work some one will have to try it and let me know!!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
When did they change the 2nd generation SAT antenna to the small 3rd generation antenna that the newest cars have? Would that indicate that someone has a XM/Sirius or Sirius only SAT prewiring? or does even the 3rd gen SAT antenna still have two wires and Audi just forgot to extend the to the receiver location?

·
Registered
22 Posts
the newest roof antennas only have 3 leads on the a4's so running a cable is not an option

but i have seen the smaller roof antenna(newer style) with 4 leads so i dont think the size of the antenna has anything to do with it

when i get some time i will check with parts and see if i can figure out when they changed to the single wire to the sat tuner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.