Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I just became the proud owner of 2006 A3 with Navplus and Bose sound. Loving the car, but one snag with the delivery. I asked the dealer to install Sirius for me (i am in canada if that makes a difference) and I was first told they had the wrong part, then they had me bring the car in for the install, only to call me a few hours later to say that Sirius is incompatible with my system. I am pretty sure that that is not true. i have the navplus, bose sound and 6 disc changer in the glovebox. Do they just have the wrong part? The service dept was very friendly and admitted that this is the first car with nav they have had to do this for as we only just got satellite radio up here. Going through all the topics here, i have not seen any good reason why this cannot be done. I am really hoping it can as we quite enjoyed our satellite in our GLI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IG

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
they don't have a clue as usual :D

Yes you can have it and it is 5 minutes to install (for prewired car)
I assume your car is prewired so once tuner is connected you should see XM or Sirius option in your BAND section of RADIO feature.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
the Sirius receiver you need is part no. 8E0 035 593 D or 8E0 057 593 D. On your Navigation Plus, check what bands are available in Radio mode. If you see AM, FM and SAT you just need the receiver installed. If SAT is missing then your dealer will need to enable SAT on you Navigation Plus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow - fast responses. Thanks everyone! SAT is available as a band on my radio...perhaps i should refer the dealer to this board to tell them how to get things done!!

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
As AudiA4B6US said...tell them to VAG your NAV first.
If it is corectly coded you should see message "initializing SDARS" on instrument cluster.

SDARS = Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service

second later your BAND option should display AM / FM / XM (or Sirius)

After that you will need to read activation number from your NAV display and call SAT provider to activate it for that particular tuner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seriously - thanks guys! I will definitely follow up with them and get this done....kinda frustrating knowing how easy this really is, but good to know it is gonna happen.

cheers

IG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok - things just got more complicated. apparently the car was an early production run and was not prewired for satellite. As i said, the sat option does come up under the choices for radio band in the nav. if it is not prewired, can it be done?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
do you have the shark fin on the roof? if yes then it should be prewired. Or at least have the sat antenna installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have the shark fin on the top. does that necessarily mean it is prewired? could it be that Audi is wrong again?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, I don't know if the dealer is smoking something or if Canadian A3s are different but try to find the plug in the back. If it's there I'm pretty sure it can be retrofit. Look at the following topic from AudiWorld, lots of pictures. try to find the connector in the left side of the trunk, then check if the jumper in the passenger footwell is there too.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/42210.phtml

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will check tonight. you've been a great help. you never know what they're smoking up here....it is kinda legal here!!! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright - it looks like the car is not prewired....not sure why, but that appears to be the case. Am i officially out of luck on this one or is there a way that this can be done anyway? Frankly, not too concerned about the cost as the dealership had better pony up for this after selling me the car under the premise that they could install satellite radio. Thanks again for all your help

IG

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If the shark fin has the white and black plug (besides blue for GPS and purple for GSM), it should be pretty straight forward to retrofit SAT. All you need is three audio wires (left/right/ground, shielded), two CAN wires (high/low, twisted), power and ground. You would also need two FAKRA cables to connect the roof antenna with the SAT receiver.

IIRC you can see the conections of the roof antenna if you pull the read interior lights out. If you have the white and blck plugs, check NSX Jr's instructions on how to retrofit SAT in an A6. You would need to build a custom harness or contact someone to do this for you but then you should be ready to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the saga continues. It appears i have the shark fin, but there is no wiring for satellite at all in the car. the dealership is telling me that it is unlikely that they will be able to fix this issue. Unfortunately, I am not confident that I can do this myself. It seems like i will be returning the car and getting one that is properly set up. This should be a fun exercise!!! Guys - you've been awesome and you're doing a great thing with this board. Rest assured, I will return with news of the new ride....and hopefully satellite radio on board.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
arrgghhh - the frustration continues. Apparently there are no other A3's in Canada with the nav system right now that match my needs so I may have to decide between Sat radio and Navigation. If i were to find someone in toronto that could do the install for me, am i right in assuming I would need the following:

Satellite tuner
wiring harness that has antenna to tuner to RNS-E

that's it? do i even need a custom harness or does audi have a harness I can order to just add satellite to a non-prewired car?

Thanks again all....i almost want to get this all done just to show that it can be!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Audi does not offer wires for satellite radio. Car is either pre-wired or not. Most of the time, guys at the dealership don't have a clue about product they sell. It's sad but some people are enthusiasts some just do it for the $.

The only way to do it is custom harness for SAT and Audi tuner compatible with RNS-E (with all necessary cables). It will take 1-2 hours for any audio shop to do it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you can get an A3 with the Symphony head unit and SAT radio then you can easily retrofit the navigation and probably safe some $$ too. The RNS-E retrofit is much easier than the SAT retrofit and if I would have to drop one option out of the three RNS-E/SAT/BT I would drop the RNS-E and install that later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
im in the process of creating the wiring harness to add sat radio to a non prewired Canadian A4 with Navi

i used NSXjr wiring diagram that use the CD changer pass thru, and found the connectors to use it with the glovebox cd changer

all i need is my xm tuner to come in, and some soldering to finish the wiring harness, and i'll post details afterwards if it works or not

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ian,
I got your email....and I responded.

You can certainly add the oem sirius tuner and wire it in. If you want to keep your glovebox CDC with Sirius, that will add some complexity...but it is doable.

As for the shark/subfin antenna, there is a strong chance that you have the sat/fakra wires (they will have a white and black fakra plastic tip) already. Unfortunately, you might need to remove some of the rear trim (C pillar etc) to find them. Not really that hard -- just use a 2" plastic putty knive to remove them.

If your fin antenna doesn't support sat (sirius/XM)....which I doubt, you can always add an aftermarket version. See some of the docs on www.nsxjr.com.

Food for thought. Let me know.

-ted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts