Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after months of research and trawling through eBay, I purchased an RNS-E unit last week and fitted it today. Have to say it was amazingly easy as you guys said it would be for Symphony II owners; the vendor sold me the harnesses as well as the unit itself, and I bought some removal keys also from eBay which arrived this week.

Below are some brief(ish) notes from the install. I'd first like to say thanks to the main contributors to this forum! navplus.us was easily my main resource in researching the install and I was still diving back into the house to run searches on here while leaving the RNS-E propped up in the car! Great stuff.

Anyway, the Symphony II had to come out first. After putting masking tape around it to prevent scratching, the removal keys went in easily enough (with the longer edge pointing to the outside of the stereo of course). Have read that some people have had problems with the Symphony being stuck, but with the lightest tug mine came out easily:

Before completely removing the Symphony II, I did something not usually mentioned in many installs - checked that the security code supplied with the manual actually worked. Hopefully this will help the next owner when I come to sell it. Just unplug the power adapter and plug it back in again, and the word "SAFE" comes up. Then press and hold down the "RDS" and "SCAN" buttons so you can enter the code:

You can use the four left-most buttons to enter the code, then press "RDS" and "SCAN" again to confirm it. Obviously, in the picture above, I've not yet entered it ...

Anyway, once that was done, I put a towel down over the gearlever and centre console (to prevent scratches) before lifting the whole unit out and unplugging all the factory connectors.

Then started plugging all the new stuff in. The main block was easy; the three different connectors will only hook up to their matching blocks and nothing else:

Next was the diversity and radio attennas. I must admit this did cause me a little confusion when reading the guides on this forum, especially because the fakra harness I bought had two leads already connected to it (see pics). I then realised the extra lead - the shorter one - had to come out and the Symphony lead to go inside it:

The connector on the left is the Symphony diversity antenna, and the two on the right I'm holding are part of the RNS-E harness. I removed one from this harness, and this picture shows the Symphony diversity ready to go into it:

This picture shows the purple piece of plastic ready to be pushed back in to secure it:

Once this is done, the radio antenna plugged into the other end of this adapter, so the whole lot looks like this:

Sorry to go on about this step, but it did confuse me for a while and so I thought it was worth mentioning! Anyway, the GPS antenna went in and then the main block (which has a swinging bar to lock in place):

In the background you can see the diversity and radio antenna already connected.

Right now, my GPS antenna is just above the RNS-E in an alcove above the double-DIN cage; I got 3-4 satellites viewable when the unit was first switched on, but I was right in front of my house and behind were two large trees so it might be okay. I think this is something I'll come back to - I didn't have as much time to spend on the install as I'd like.

Quickly checked the versions too once it was all powered up:

I then tidied up the wiring and pushed the RNS-E back into the dashboard - there's much less space now because of the adapters, but it went home fairly easily with gentle pressure around the edge of the faceplate.

This thread is a little bit of work in progress, as I will be testing and checking the RNS-E more over the coming week, including whether the GPS antenna is receiving enough satellites, and I'll take some more pictures too. Also got to dig out an SD card and fill it with some MP3s!

Have already received a post from Craigyb who pointed out that I've got to get it coded too - thanks Craig.

Any comments, feedback or questions welcomed!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Nice write up. If you plan to use SD cards I would recommend to upgrade to a newer DVD/Software. I know that the 2007 Euro DVD is expected to get released soon but if you ar enot waiting for that one, try to get a 2006 or 2006_1 to update to software 0450 or 0460. The software 0100 you have right now is know for having several issues concerning SD cards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great tip - thanks. The DVD is an early 2005 (there's 2004 copyright statements on it) and I've already found a couple of new roads nearby that don't appear on the map, so a later DVD is definitely on the list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have software 0110 in A3 8P, 06

How do I know if this is the current verison (most up-to-date)? Is there a thread which talks or track the latest verisons?

Does the dealer know what the current verisons are?

Would there be a cost to get the newest software update?

I am having what I think are issues with my SD card.

Is there a good thread to read up on the SD cards and how to format the data and song formats?

Thanks
new guy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been told that 0450 or 0460 is one of the more recent for Euro units, although 0500 is available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update my thread with some post-install notes and thoughts:

1. The RNS-E is awesome! Miles better than Tom Tom or any other portable GPS devices I've used. I demonstrated it to a work colleague who uses Tom Tom daily and even he admitted he was "gutted" at how neat the RNS-E works, and obviously the fact it fits seamlessly into the car without any wires all over the dash.

2. I need to resite the GPS antenna. Due to pressures of time during the install, I put it in an alcove above the double-DIN cage. On Sunday and yesterday I was receiving about 3-4 satellites which, surprisingly, was enough for navigation, but this morning in the rain and under heavy clouds, I got 1 or 2 - so ended up with the arrow moving all over the map. Have seen as many as 6 though, so it's not consistent.

3. Noticed lots of really nice touches: like the way the map colours invert when the exterior lights are switched on so the screen isn't too bright in the cabin; the way the RNS-E automatically integrates with DIS to show nav instructions without coding; and the simple map overview when you're not navigating, so you can still see where you are. Neat.

Have found some SD cards so will put some MP3s on them tonight and try it out tomorrow, and then organise some time to dismantle part of the dash to put the GPS antenna in a better location!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: I have software 0110 in A3 8P, 06

nrvfalos said:
How do I know if this is the current version (most up-to-date)? Is there a thread which talks or track the latest versions?

Does the dealer know what the current versions are?

Would there be a cost to get the newest software update?
Most dealers are not very knowledgeable or helpful!

The latest EU SW version available on a DVD is 0460 which is on the 2006_1 DVD. New cars with the RNS-E are arriving with SW version 0500 (which you can get from some people on this forum - use the search feature and you will find them). A new 2007 DVD is due out very shortly, but we don't know what SW version that will have.

New SW versions are issued on map DVDs - which have to be purchased.

nrvfalos said:
I am having what I think are issues with my SD card.

Is there a good thread to read up on the SD cards and how to format the data and song formats?
There's a thread active at the moment regarding playlists, song formats, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Say PetrolDave, Could you provide the link for the thread where they are discussing the SD Card formating and such here?

I will look for others here whom are selling the DVD. ( i pressume copies) How can I tell if the disc would be for the US data and not for EU before I install the disc into my car?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
nrvfalos said:
How can I tell if the disc would be for the US data and not for EU before I install the disc into my car?
If you have a Euro RNS-E it won't accept the US DVD and vice versa. There is no risk in getting a DVD from the wrong region other than that you wasted some money because it's useless to you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update this thread a week after the install, things are going quite swimmingly! Over the weekend I drove down to see the folks in Essex and the RNS-E was just a joy to use - even the simple map overview (when not navigating) is extremely useful and I used it to skip a rush-hour traffic jam and find an alternative route off the A120.

Had a problem with an SD card I hurriedly put together, where the RNS-E reported "Data Corrupted". Used my SD card reader to format the card with FAT32, dropped a load of MP3s into it, and no more problems.

Also bought a 2006_1 DVD (with 0460 SW upgrade) from Craigyb and will run the upgrade this week.

Only final item on my list (apart from some VAG-COM coding at some stage!) is to relocate the GPS antenna as I mentioned in an earlier post. Sometimes, I get as many as 6-7 satellites but most of the time I struggle to see more than 3. It's enough for the RNS-E to navigate accurately, but I'll still relocate the antenna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts