Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you might be able to shed some light on my situation. With the help of forum member PROXUS, I retrofitted an RNS-E unit into my Gallardo.

At the same time, we installed a BT module. I am using a Treo 650 with Verizon as my provider. Have not used the BT function with other cars or ear devices.

Treo / Car recognize each other, and the BT logo, the provider and the signal strength all show up on the display. As part of the communication process the unit starts to download the data on the Treo, starting with Calls Made, then Calls Received, and then Missed Calls and then I presume Phonebook (the way it receives information from the Treo is not in the same order as it lists it onscreen).

Here is where it become strange. It downloads the Calls Made database successfully, and then appears to have downloaded the Calls Received successfully, but as soon that database is complete the TREO resets, at which point the connection is broken, and then the whole recognition and download process starts again.

I spoke with Verizon and Palm about this. They had me "hard boot" my Treo to erase any corrupted files. I then loaded the latest Treo software from Verizon. I used a program recommended by somebody called dBscan to scan my Treo databases for any possible corruption - everything came out clean. But still, I'm getting the same issues.

I know this is more a Treo issue than an RNS-E unit issue, but I'm hoping one of you guys may have experienced or heard something similar and can guide me. Very frustrating to be able to have this functionality installed, but then only be able to use it intermittently.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
todd1010 said:
Is there any kind of Treo software/firmware update, that you know of?

And have you tried this?

http://www.jetwaremobile.com/
In talking to Palm today, they guided me to v1.04 of the Verizon / Treo software (I was using v1.03) which I updated, and that should make me current. Not sure if there is anything else.

Thanks for your link, but it seems like that is for the Windows platform, which would be for the Treo 700w. The 650 runs on the Palm OS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
TREO 650 and wierd go together...

My loaner A6 and A8 worked great with the RAZR. The 650 would not allow the phone book to download, only previously dialed calls. My 650 would not permanently stay connected with the car. It engaged only when a call came in or was being made.
My Uniden bluetooth land line/cell phone would constantly connect and disconnect in bluetooth mode using the Treo 650. I have no issues when using the RAZR phone though. I have Cingular/ATT. I'm pretty sure it's a quirk with the BT on the TREO.

Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
This seems to occur with certain versions of the Treo Firmware. Whenever my friend boots up his laptop and automatically tries to connect via Bluetooth, the Treo 650 reboots... Very annoying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me ask this another way: is there a way I can prevent the phone / module from communicating directory information so that the Treo doesn't keep resetting. This way BT would stay active, and I could use the car to communicate for phonecalls.

I would sacrifice some convenience, but I am willing to live with that until I get the problem researched some more.

Now, everytime the damn thing resets the connection is broken, I get little pings here and there, and the music keeps getting interrupted! Same thing when it reestablishes a connection!

So close, and yet so far!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I had the Cingular Treo 650 and no issues anymore after loading the Cingular 1.15 firmware. Last time I checked Palm's latest firmware was 1.20 or so. I don't know much about Verizon but there are tools out there on the Net that let you load the Palm firmware on a SIM locked Treo. That way you would still need to stay with Verizon (or get your Treo unlocked) but get the Palm firmware. Maybe there is someone with an unlocked Treo 650 that lets you test your SIM and see if it works. if it does then you could load the Palm firmware to solve the BT issues with the Verizon firmware. Just an idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm using a Verizon Treo 650 successfully with my RNS-E -- no reboots while downloading the phone book. Occasionally (maybe once a week) the Treo reboots after a call, and once it happened while I was picking up the call, but I'm definitely not seeing the issues you have. I'm running the 1.04 firmware, and using GoodLink for my contacts (haven't tried it with just the plain Treo phone book). On mine, it only downloads the quick dial contacts into the phone book on the RNS-E...

Not sure what you can try, I would look at the quick dial stuff a bit more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts