Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story is as follows:

Things were fine with the Nav+ system until one day I got a message saying "RDS-TMC connection: RDS-TMC connection is faulty or could not be established". This came totally out of the blue but I checked everything, there were no loose wires or connections. After asking for some advice on www.rs246.com, I was told to disconnect the battery, leave it overnight and reconnect it. I did this and the fault had disappeared.

The only problem is that since I did that I never get a connection to a satellite. I changed the CD a couple of times, checked the GPS antenna (couldn't see anything wrong). Then I disconnected the battery again - left it overnight and re-connected - Now the GPS Viewer setting says there are 32 satellites but that I am receiving 0 of them - "Geographical location could not be established"!!

So I took the car to Audi - diagnostic machine couldn't find a single fault with the Nav system or the antenna, the tech was as stumped as I was!

Went home and upgraded the firmware to Nov 2001 version, drove round in circles about 8 times to re-calibrate the antenna but it still doesn't work.

Still not able to pick up a single satellite so am constantly "lost" somewhere 100kms north!!! (Presumably the last place I successfully established contact with a satellite)

This is a nightmare - any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Sounds like a faulty antenna to me. Could you get hold of a "hockey puck" style antenna and try that?

The diagnostics saying the antenna is OK is probably just a "it's not short crcuit or open circuit" check not a functional check.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Antenna

I would start with the antenna. Is it in the dash (no-no!)? If yes, move it to the rear shelf. If not buy a new one for $30 bucks just to stick it on the top of the car. If ok, then voila-bad antenna. Then insall new one under rear parcel shelf. If not, must be a hardware issue with the unit. Check out shark fins for sale in classifieds, nothing beats an antenna outside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed......!!

For closure's sake. Got Audi to order and fit a new roof-mounted GPS antenna to my B5 RS4 and it worked like a charm. Immediately got 9 satellites and prefect navigation again.

Thanks and well done to all those who called it right....!

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts