Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 allroad with RNS-E and Bluetooth TEL. I installed everything myself and have gone through several issues (including recurring dead batteries.) The system seems to be reasonably healthy.

Well, a few weeks after I installed the system, I aquired a (proper) Audi XM module from a guy with an A4 in the south bay. TeddyBgame custom-built a harness to connect the RNS to the XM module as well as an ice:Link. (I never did connect the ice:Link to the system.) I installed and activated the XM module and went on down the road in full-on electronic glee.

A couple of months later, the XM started to spend time "UPDATING" quite a bit. This became more and more frequent until it reached the point when UPDATING was soon followed by "INITIALIZING." This got worse and worse to the point that the unit would never get past INITIALIZING and would eventually show a screen telling me that my car had the ability to use satellite radio if only I'd go see my dealer.

Well, I came back to this forum and did some searching and found that the above behavior had been seen before and it basically meant "dead XM module." So, I contacted the guy who sold me the module, and he was nice enough to reinstall the module in his car and bring it to the dealer for repair. (As thanks, I included an Amex prepaid card in the package I sent to him.) He actually spent the time to do this and it resulted in a new (refurb?) XM module being installed in his car.

So, he sends the 'new' XM module to me, I install and activate it in my car and once again, I am again moving on down the road in full-on electronic glee.

Imagine my disgust a few months later as the death spiral that happened to the first unit began in the second module! It went through the whole process and now the 'new' XM module is as useless as the first one.

The A4 owner is, understandably, unwilling to help again until the cause of death is determined. As it stands, I am out $400, out XM radio, and out of ideas. Is there anyone out there who can help me or suggest some steps to determine what is going-on?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This happened to my first XM tuner. I immediately installed the proper twisted wire pair for my CANbus lines that go between the headunit and the trunk. I can't say for sure that was the problem, but my new tuner has worked for over a year now.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Does the sound go out when it say's UPDATING or AQUIRING SIGNAL?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATING

todd1010 said:
Does the sound go out when it say's UPDATING or AQUIRING SIGNAL?
In my case, it's been UPDATING followed by INITIALIZING followed by the friendly reminder.

In no case prior to failure is there any issue with signal. FWIW, it's also not a problem with activation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.