Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the storage bin in the console between front seats, behind the side mirrors switch, with the optional pop-up cup holder?

I've been able to remove the bin ok, and I have the pop-up cup holder, but it's much wider than the bin, and doesn't seem like it can go in side ways or from the top.

Is the only way to get it installed to take the side panel off?
that seems like a lot of work, with gear covers to remove and other panels.
Or, can one get it in from the telephone storage compartment behind it - which is empty as old phone connection and phone removed. Use BT with iPhone now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to put in a different frame to hold the cupholder. It is inserted in from the bottom. Go in from the phone tray. You'll also need to pop out the mirror control so you can work it from both sides. Just did this on my car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have the frame and the cupholder, and Yes, I've had the mirror control out too. I can't see how I can the the cupholder frame in from the phone tray. I have the bottom out of the phone tray holder, and the black plastic that is removed with screws from the phone holder/area. I can't get the frame in from here. Do you have any pics? Or do I have to remove something else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually lifted the phone tray to get the frame in then just moved it into position. You need to push pretty hard to get it to snap in at the back. Make sure the front tabs are in before you try to snap in the back.

Note, I do not have a phone tray just the empty tray so you may have wiring under there that makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a phone in there, so my tray is empty, but I do have the phone connector there with the plastic end that it would plug into. That is the piece you have to remove two or three screws from, to remove it and remove the tray. I've had it all out, but there are wires there, due to the connector, so maybe that's what caused me problems. I'll look again, and look at removing that connector and wire, since it's not used. However my fear is the wire(s) probably go a long way back to the dash.... If I remember they're all wrapped up in that black cloth type tape...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even with the wires there, I have to imagine you have the room. I think the difference is that you removed the large tray, vs. I lifted the entire tray including the front. If you don't do that you might not have enough room to go from the tray area to the cup holder area. I think I had it on its side, then turned it once it was in the cup holder area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd actually like to replace my broken cupholder in that same spot, hope you can take pics or share where you bought the cupholder part.

My cupholder on the dash by the hazard light won't stay pressed-in, might need to replace that, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd actually like to replace my broken cupholder in that same spot, hope you can take pics or share where you bought the cupholder part.

My cupholder on the dash by the hazard light won't stay pressed-in, might need to replace that, too.
It may be the cog slipping, or out of line. See below to check.
You can buy parts from here, just create an account. Not sure if anyone has cheaper source(s)
http://www.primepartssuperstore.com
You can remove the dash cupholder and check it, clean it, test it, etc and replace before buying a new one. It's not bad to do the dash.
The cover (wood panel or other) is easy to pop off - just be careful. Use screwdriver to carefully pry it up from left, middle and right. Cover screwdriver with tape as to not scratch the radio below.
I'm attaching pics that have descriptions on them for the steps to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

additional pics - limit was 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you couldn't fit the cup holder in the center console, correct?

I thought about this too, because having only one cup holder except for the armrest is not great for long trips. Did you think that you could but an extra drink hold where the suspension level switches are?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts