Audi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see that now you can see the limit speed on the road and i think that's a nice update.
I wish that this feature will be put on the 2010 dvd maps for "old" RNS-E....always if the dvd maps for our units will be updated.

and i hope that all the "news software" will be available for our units. I can live without new monitor or AMI but the speed limit i think that MUST be installed on the new dvd maps for old unit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I see that now you can see the limit speed on the road and i think that's a nice update.
I wish that this feature will be put on the 2010 dvd maps for "old" RNS-E....always if the dvd maps for our units will be updated.
They should be very easily do that, since they calculate time of arrival based on the speed limit of the road, but I doubt they will do it since they rarely update the firmware with new features given that this will require somebody to implement it as a new project and nobody wants to do that with old code.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I see that now you can see the limit speed on the road.
Given how inaccurate the Navteq map data is I would not trust my licence to speed limit data on the maps!

I've sent corrections to Navteq using their website for over 4 years now, and not 1 single correction has been made to the maps. Their "customer service" is absolute rubbish IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Given how inaccurate the Navteq map data is I would not trust my licence to speed limit data on the maps!

I've sent corrections to Navteq using their website for over 4 years now, and not 1 single correction has been made to the maps. Their "customer service" is absolute rubbish IMHO.
do you think it would make a difference if we all reported/posted the same corrections? maybe a bulk 'complaint' might help LOL

·
Registered
106 Posts
That wouldn't help eighter.. I did such a complaint from different "users" different ip's and still no change...
Customer service is just for show...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Strange. I reported a few changes of Romanian roads (class A roads according to Navteq) and the corrections took about 10 months keeping in mind that Romania has only broad coverage (only two cities have detailed coverage).
I believe it depends of Navteq interests.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I believe it depends of Navteq interests.
You would have thought that there are more customers of Navteq map data in the UK than in Romania and hence it would be more in their interest to correct the UK maps speedily - but it seems they just cannot be bothered, are too lazy, WHY,...?

"Customer Service" departments are in my experience pointless show in the majority of cases.

Even Bose can't be bothered to give a proper answer why they do not allow their Wave systems to have botha CD changer and a DAB tuner, when questioned they just "go silent" - rubbish!

·
Registered
24 Posts
With the development of the dealer activation required for the new RNS-E units, I'm starting to wonder if it will be possible to to retrofit a new unit into an older car. Also, I wonder if these units will be able to display info to the older DIS, since they were likely designed for the newer DIS.

I had been holding off buying an RNS-E until the new ones were available, but now I'm starting to think I might just buy the older one. Is anyone else in the same position?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Has the DIS changed between 2009 and 2010 MYs then?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has the DIS changed between 2009 and 2010 MYs then?
No they have not the white DIS run the exact same base software as the RED dis, you can also confirm this for retrofitting the MY09 R8's had white DIS but red "time and millage displays"

The White DIS's can be fitted to a RED DIS POD if only one could find the actual WHITE DIS LCD.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess that makes sense. I believe the 2009 vehicles had the white DIS but were using the same RNS-E as was in use pre-2009, so it would have to work.

I guess the majority of my concerns lie with the activation. It would be weird having to take my car to the dealer to get their help retrofitting one of these new units.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess that makes sense. I believe the 2009 vehicles had the white DIS but were using the same RNS-E as was in use pre-2009, so it would have to work.

I guess the majority of my concerns lie with the activation. It would be weird having to take my car to the dealer to get their help retrofitting one of these new units.
Check my post here which confirms the ONLINE car pairing: http://audiforum.us/rns-e/11926-new-rnse-online-verification.html

I think its brilliant time these low life son of a guns are caught out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw that post. My concern is that if you went into a dealership with a legitimately acquired 2010 RNS-E installed in a 2007 car, would they even help you?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I saw that post. My concern is that if you went into a dealership with a legitimately acquired 2010 RNS-E installed in a 2007 car, would they even help you?
The SVN system has been in place for some time on the MMI systems and dealers (most of them anyway) are willing to help out when retrofitting them, so I so no reason to believe they won't help if/when the SVN system is introduced onto other systems (like RNS-E) in the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OFFICAL press release:

Updated Audi navigation system plus

* 800 x 480 pixel, high-resolution graphics
* Significantly faster route calculation
* Available in the Audi A3, TT and R8

The new Audi navigation system plus with MMI (MultiMedia Interface) operating logic in the A3, TT and R8 offers improved screen resolution and unmatched route calculation speed. Theradio-navigation system, version E (RNS-E), can be combined with the Audi music interface and reads up to 32 GB SD memory cards. The new system is available immediately and costs between 2,270 and 2,565euros, depending on the model.

The most obvious improvement are the 800 x480 pixel, high-resolution graphics displayed on the 6.5-inch screen.Route calculation is blazingly fast thanks to a latest-generationprocessor clocked at 600 MHz. In addition to the recommended lane, thesplit-screen display now also shows speed limits taken from thenavigation data for freeways and highways. In topographic map view, thedriver and front passenger can scroll vertically, horizontally and nowalso along the route as they wish.

External storage media or MP3players such as an iPod can be attached via the Audi music interface,which is available to customers as optional equipment. Another newbenefit is that it charges the external devices.

The navigationsystem plus now features the intuitive operating logic of the mediaplayback menu, which can also be found in the latest Audi MMI systems.Title information is now displayed, making it easier to search throughthe music collection.

A Bluetooth adapter for the Audi music interface available at retail stores enables wireless music playback from a mobile phone or MP3 player. There is no need to visit the dealership just to keep the Audi music interface up to date: Updatescan be downloaded free of charge from Redirect and transferredto the car via a USB stick.

On the back of the display, which canbe folded away at the push of a button, are two slots for SD and SDHC cards with capacities of up to 32 GB. That is enough for up to 14,000 songs – 700 hours or one month of uninterrupted listening enjoyment.

Also new is the optical parking assistant. In the Audi R8 it can be combinedwith the rearview camera. In addition to acoustic warning signals, the distance to the front and to the rear is now displayed optically on thehigh-resolution display. When combined with the rearview camera, the graphics from the parking assistant are superimposed over the live image from the camera.

Full link: The TT Forum :: News

·
Registered
133 Posts
In addition to the recommended lane, thesplit-screen display now also shows speed limits taken from thenavigation data for freeways and highways.
Isn't this already available in the US version since SW 0150? And it looked better than their version.

In topographic map view, thedriver and front passenger can scroll vertically, horizontally and now also along the route as they wish.
Along the route is nice, but I always thought their X/Y axis scrolling was very tedious and should have adopted a scheme of switching between pointing in a direction and going in that direction. That way, it would provide much of the feature of the new MMI's joystick knob.

21 - 40 of 460 Posts