Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

First time post on this great forum. Have just purchased new 2006 A6 Avant with Sat Nav. Have the CD Rom based system (not that I originally ordered this, but that's another story!).

Have read many threads on this site regarding TMC and whether it should and does function in the UK. Mine has Dynamic Routing options and also regularly searches for TMC enabled radio station, but alas it never finds one!

Is Audi still selling cars without TMC enabled? Other threads suggest A6's from 2005 onwards do have TMC enabled but do not specify whether this is for the CD or DVD Sat Nav systems or both?

Local Audi dealer has advised my car does not have TMC capability, yet it gives the option and searches for radio stations.

Any advice/experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Robster said:
Is Audi still selling cars without TMC enabled? Other threads suggest A6's from 2005 onwards do have TMC enabled but do not specify whether this is for the CD or DVD Sat Nav systems or both?

Local Audi dealer has advised my car does not have TMC capability, yet it gives the option and searches for radio stations.
A dealer upgrade (software only via a DVD) has been available for several months for MMI systems (A6, A8 & Q7) - your dealer SHOULD be aware of this and have offered to do the upgrade for you.

Either try talking to someone at the dealer who knows what they are talking about(!), or try a different dealer. The person you spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about - they have given you bulls..t!

The CD based systems have been TMC capable for nearly 3 years - by using a CD from TeleAtlas (not Audi).

The RNS-E systems are not TMC capable yet, but Tom Peterkin of Audi UK has said in emails that a solution is working and has been tested, and will be available for dealers to upgrade customer cars when DVDs have been manufactured (probably in January 2007).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Dave,

Thanks for your help. You mention the software upgrade is via DVD. Yet my car only has the CD-Rom Sat Nav.

You also mention the CD-Rom Sat Nav has been TMC enabled via utilising a third party disc. Does this mean even in a brand new A6 after they have upgraded the software that I still need to purchase a different cd rom NOT from Audi?????

Rob.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Actually I don't think we have an answer for this.

The CD ROM Nav system in an A6 is different to the DVD based systems that does have TMC.

And it's not the same as the older DX nav CD systems that have TMC either.

So it's an interesting question, but I'm not surewhat the answer is.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Didn't know there was a "poverty spec" CD sat nav for the MMI!

Often people have posted "CD" when they meant" DVD" so I assumed the same here - shows what assumptions do!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It's call MMI Basic Plus Navigation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional feedback here.

Your right. I ordered the car with DVD Sat Nav, but unfortunately when it arrived it only had the CD Rom Sat Nav (red and black screen with directional arrows only in DIS and no colour map).

Basically all A6 2.0TDI models now come out of the factory as standard with CD Rom Sat Nav. This is a free option until the end of the year. Option of an upgrade to DVD Sat Nav, colour screen and colour DIS for only £500. Ordered this but didn't get it unfortunately.

Basically it has an option for dynamic routing navigation i.e. tmc. The tmc function displays at the bottom of the screen but is crossed out. Periodically it then searches for TMC radio stations but nver finds one.

What do you reckon? Capable but the Audi CD_Rom is not TMC enabled? or software update needed for the sat nav?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just returned from my local Audi dealer again. They are still stating that TMC is not available on the CD-Rom Sat Nav MMI Basic Plus for the A6. Yet I'm not convinced as the options are all there and it tries to find a radio station. Off to Europe in January so will see if it works over the channel.

Not convinced with the dealer as it has taken them 4 attempts to get the voice regonition system to speak English!! Keeps reverting back to German. At last they seem to have fixed the problem - will wait and see if its still speaking good old english tomorrow!

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Robster said:
Off to Europe in January so will see if it works over the channel.
Is the CD MMI sat nav like the older CD RNS-D in that the CD maps are for one country only? On the RNS-D there was a CD for UK & Ireland, another for France, another for Benelux, another for Germany, etc.

Check this before you go to Europe so that you have the maps you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the CD is titled UK & Ireland, but it does have a certain amount of detail for many countries in Europe. Certainly finds all the towns and cities and major roads, just doesn't go down to street and house number level.

Will let you all know if TMC works when in Europe. Any other experiences with this CD-Rom Sat Nav would be appreciated with regards to TMC.

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
How brave are you feeling?

The Travelpilot DX CD that I mentioned in an earlier post is also called "UK & Ireland". It could just be coincidence, or the CD MMI basic sat nav MIGHT just use Travelpilot DX CDs.

I'd be tempted to get a DX CD, either from the website link I posted or off eBay, and try that.

If it doesn't work you can always sell it on eBay!

·
Registered
5 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Robster said:

A dealer upgrade (software only via a DVD) has been available for several months for MMI systems (A6, A8 & Q7) - your dealer SHOULD be aware of this and have offered to do the upgrade for you.

Either try talking to someone at the dealer who knows what they are talking about(!), or try a different dealer. The person you spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about - they have given you bulls..t!

The CD based systems have been TMC capable for nearly 3 years - by using a CD from TeleAtlas (not Audi).

The RNS-E systems are not TMC capable yet, but Tom Peterkin of Audi UK has said in emails that a solution is working and has been tested, and will be available for dealers to upgrade customer cars when DVDs have been manufactured (probably in January 2007).
Anyone heard anymore if the A3 will get the TMC option next year in the UK. Just ordered a A3 2.0TDI Sportback (with DVD SatNav, Bluetooth prep) due in March 2007. My UK Dealer did not know about any changes for the A3 for TMC. I am hoping that TMC is enabled finger crossed.

TIA

Scott

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If they release the UK TMC DVD in January as promised then yes your A3 should have TMC or I would push the dealer for a free upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.