Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of NATO Forces overseas and have a new A4 coming with Color MMI PLUS NAVI/SD/with Sat Prep. After talking with German and US Audi customer support along with NAV-Tech Audi disc supplier; they all say US systems will not work in Europe and European systems will not work in US. I've heard (read) different views to this on various forums. QU: Are the E version and the US version identical units and thus interchangable or must the wiring, antennas (GPS) and software in need of modifications which would thus VOID (AUDI) warranties???? Need Help quick. Thanks to all in advance. :?:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
asjo,

the US and EU units have the same form factor and electrical connections, they can be swapped 1:1 without any adaptation. I have installed a US unit and a EU unit in the same car using the same adapters and both worked just fine. And here on this forum we have had confirmation from B6, B7, C5 and Allroad people that the upgrade is painless.

While most of us had to use adapters to convert the plugs in our cars, you should be able to do a direct replacement without needing any adapter. All you may have to do is to code the EU unit using a tool like VAG-COM.

What I would recommend in your case is to get a "like new" used EU unit from a trusted source and swap the devices. Depending on where you get the EU unit, 1000-1500 Euros (plus a 2005 map DVD from ebay for 50 Euros) should be the price range. Once connected, confirm that everything is working (again, you may need some VAG-COM coding depending on where you get the other unit from). If you don't want to keep your US device you should be able to find here or on other forums someone who is willing to pay in the $2000 range for a US unit. I would recommend to keep the US device if you plan to use your car at any time in North America or sell it to someone who does.

If you don't want to replace your head unit there might be achance that yo could modify the Euro map DVD to be accepted by the US unit. Several here on this forum did this with the US map DVD because they got a EU unit and I would suppose it's possible the other way around too. However, using the US unit in Europe you won't get AM, any FM station on even (or was it odd) frequencies and no TP/TMC. While you may say that radio sucks anyway, having no TMC makes the navigation thing much less interesting because having dynamic route guidance is what you are looking for. If you still want to try this out, send me a PM and we can discuss this option a little more. But I would recommend to get an EU unit, this is much easier.

Good luck,
Dirk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts