Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if someone can clear up a few questions I have:

My Audi A6 is a 2003 (53) Sport model. It came with the Concert II CD system with a single din (edit: as hown here http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/batmiterns/IMG_1769.jpg ). The car doesn't have an onboard trip computer, but has the computer check system (brakes, oil etc). The first question is can I put a Sat Nav into my Audi and would I need different adapters as it is the Concert II system? I understand that I would have to get a double din facia, replace the compact air con controller and ashtray. Once those have been replaced, it should be as the guides state on this forum (except for different adapter I may need).

On a side note, would it also be possible to replace the instrument panel with one that has the trip computer display? I'm hoping that the wiring already has the capability. If not, its no big loss as long as I can install the sat nav.

Will post my pictures here if the sat nav can be installed.

Cheers

Mt Blek

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your Concert2 uses the same wiring connections as the sym2. Just check your harness against the sym2 wiring chart and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you say "trip computer", do you mean the red DIS betweeen the speedo and rev counter? If so then the Sport model has always had this as standard so howcome you've not got it already?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vertigo1 said:
When you say "trip computer", do you mean the red DIS betweeen the speedo and rev counter? If so then the Sport model has always had this as standard so howcome you've not got it already?

I have the red DIS without the trip computer. So when I start the car, I get the usual health checks displayed, but don't have the ability to select current mpg, fuel left in tank etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NSX JR said:
Your Concert2 uses the same wiring connections as the sym2. Just check your harness against the sym2 wiring chart and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately navparts.com is out of stock :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok now I'm really confused. As far as I know, DIS is DIS, you either have it with all the associated functions or you don't have it at all.

You're saying you've got the DIS display but none of the various figures you can display? Don't you have the rocker switch on the end of the right-hand stalk to cycle through these options?

I'm aware that the DIS was upgraded as, on my 2003 model car, I don't have the menu function and can merely cycle through the figures using the rocker switch. On newer cars you can press the button on the bottom of the stalk to access a proper menu which you can scroll through to adjust settings.

I'm not aware of any option such as the one you describe whereby you get the display but none of the figures are available. All I've ever seen on the options list is DIS or no DIS, i.e. all or nothing.

Weird! :)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
Ok now I'm really confused. As far as I know, DIS is DIS, you either have it with all the associated functions or you don't have it at all.

You're saying you've got the DIS display but none of the various figures you can display? Don't you have the rocker switch on the end of the right-hand stalk to cycle through these options?
In the UK some models have a red DIS that only displays mileage left, others have the "full" red DIS and others have the colour DIS.

Full DIS in all models is a US specific feature.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Full DIS in all models is a US specific feature.
Not anymore, starting with the B7 A4 the base model comes without the trip computer and the outside temp and miles to empty only. At least all A4 still come with the center LCD, on the A3 if you don't get the S-Tronic (DSG) and don't get the trip computer you don't even get the LCD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings fellow Audi drivers
This is my first post so I'm a little nervous!

I have an 03 model with the same spec. I have recently installed the RNS-E unit and it looks fantastic. U need a couple of small cuts into the side of the centre console surround to accommodate the larger double din unit. I advise to start cutting small then 'nibble' away until u get the double din unit to slot into place. The cuts are hidden by the air con unit when everything is put back together. U will also need to replace the plastic cover on the ashtray.

I, however, have a couple of problems that I may need help with:
1. My harness was made by Kufatec. I requested a Concert II spec and it checks out fine with the wiring diagrams(Bose, CD Changer and phone). The Bose signal is grounded but I cannot get any sound through the front speakers
2. When I switch on my side lights the panel switches on the unit do not illuminate. If I insert the key into the ignition, then switch on my side lights, the panel switches illuminate but if the side lights are switched off, the panel lights on the unit remain lit until I close the car door, then they go out.
3. The gala wire has been connected as advised but when the instrument cluster has been replaced, the clock and date ar incorrect and now cannot be adjusted using the know on the cluster.

I know that fitting the RNS-E is a big job and I am nearly at the finish line. Can anyone offer any help for me to cross it please

Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Bykerlad said:
I, however, have a couple of problems that I may need help with:
1. My harness was made by Kufatec. I requested a Concert II spec and it checks out fine with the wiring diagrams(Bose, CD Changer and phone). The Bose signal is grounded but I cannot get any sound through the front speakers
2. When I switch on my side lights the panel switches on the unit do not illuminate. If I insert the key into the ignition, then switch on my side lights, the panel switches illuminate but if the side lights are switched off, the panel lights on the unit remain lit until I close the car door, then they go out.
3. The gala wire has been connected as advised but when the instrument cluster has been replaced, the clock and date ar incorrect and now cannot be adjusted using the know on the cluster.
Welcome!

1) It sounds like your adapter is missing the line out signals for the front channels - I'm assuming you do have Bose?

2) and 3) It sounds like either your unit is not correctly coded for an A3 and/or your CAN Gateway has not been recoded correctly. BTW the gala signal is not necessary on an A3 - the RNS-E gets the speed signal over the CAN bus.

What is the coding of your RNS-E? And did you recode the CAN Gateway (using the long coding helper)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Dave

Thanks for the welcome. Just to clarify. I have a 2003 A6 Avant Sport with BOSE. As advised in previous install guidance, the brown speaker connector in the original wiring harness is made redundant when the bose signal (B7) on the RNS-E adapter is grounded. Therefore, where do I get my signal for front speakers? I understood that the bose system took care of this.

How do I get the coding of my RNS-E? And how do I recode the CAN Gateway (using the long coding helper)?

If this refers to VAGCOM, I don't have acces to it so the unit has not been coded to my specific vehicle. Is the VAGCOM coding necessary?

Thanx for any help

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Bykerlad said:
Just to clarify. I have a 2003 A6 Avant Sport with BOSE. As advised in previous install guidance, the brown speaker connector in the original wiring harness is made redundant when the bose signal (B7) on the RNS-E adapter is grounded. Therefore, where do I get my signal for front speakers? I understood that the bose system took care of this.

How do I get the coding of my RNS-E? And how do I recode the CAN Gateway (using the long coding helper)?

If this refers to VAGCOM, I don't have acces to it so the unit has not been coded to my specific vehicle. Is the VAGCOM coding necessary?
First, I have to admit I read A3 instead of A6 - so ignore my reference to long coding helper and CAN Gateway (my bad!).

The line outputs for all 4 speakers are in the C connector (check the pinout - they are shown on the label on the top of the RNS-E), all 4 of these should be connected. I suspect your adapter may only have the rear ones connected (a common problem with adapters - even when a Bose adapter is specified!). If the front inputs aren't connected to the Bose amp, ther's nothing it can do to re-create them!

You should be able to see the coding by going into Engineering Mode (press Nav, press and hold the top left soft button for about 10 seconds, then press and hold the top right soft button for another 10 seconds or so and Engineering Mode will appear).

It sounds like you will very probably need to have access to VAG-COM, unless you are lucky enough for your RNS-E to have the correct coding for your car. Do navigation instructions apopear in your DIS when you turn route guidance on? If not, then you WILL need to use VAG-COM to enable that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing in the DIS. However, my car dos not have average mpg, or other trip computer functions fitted. Does this make a difference? I will try to switch the CAN signals in the adapter to eliminate the gremlins re panel lights not working and ignition switching on the unit, then try to sort out the front speakers. I will then try to find someone with access to VAGCOM to set up the unit. Your help is much appreciated!

Thanx

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Bykerlad said:
Nothing in the DIS. However, my car dos not have average mpg, or other trip computer functions fitted. Does this make a difference?
Sounds like you've got the red DIS with no trip computer. Correctly coded this will show navigation instructions but because of a software bug in the red DIS (that Audi won't fix because they don't sell nav systems with the red DIS) youwill probably have to turn the RNS-E off and back on after you have turned on route guidance to make the route information appear in the DIS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
PetrolDave said:
In the UK some models have a red DIS that only displays mileage left, others have the "full" red DIS and others have the colour DIS.
Interesting.

When I got my car back in 2003 (so an early one), the only options where the full DIS (standard on the Sport but an option on other models) or no DIS at all. If you opted for no DIS then the central area of the dash simply had a grid of standard warning lights and that was it.

Since then I was aware that the DIS had been upgraded with some extra features, such as a full menu accessible via the button on the bottom of the stalk, which mine does have. It sounds like you're saying they also replaced the grid of warning lights on the "non-DIS equipped" models with a basic DIS display which just shows mileage left and any relevant warnings. Is this the case?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I do not have the button on the stalk the access any information for the trip computer in the DIS, The DIS in my car only displays outside temperature during normal driving conditions. I had a 2000 model VW Passat SE with the trip computer before my Audi and I kind of miss having the extra functions to play around with :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts