Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, believe it or not, I did my first real RNS-E install today (the other installs where all B6 installs and those are much easier). A friend's B5 S4 was the patient and it took about 5 hours (with several breaks of course) to get it installed up to the point where he has to modify his faceplate now. Besides the A6 RNS-E we also install the Audi iPod adapter replacing his trunk mount RCA in and cupholder iPod stand.

As guidelines we used Lee's (NSX JR) excellent Symphony I to RNS-E guide (to get the wiring tables and some general instructions) and mjtaylor's B5 A4 installation guide that I followed basically step by step. I can only recommend every B5 owner to read those those guide before getting started.

As tools you should have (besides the usual stuff):
- radio removal tool - get a solid set confirmed to be made for a Symphony I head unit, my B6 tools didn't do a great job although the were fine with my Symphony II
- Mini-ISO pin removal tool - if you don't want to cut/extend wires for the new CAN connection
- a VAG-COM of course to make the final changes

I'm not going to get through the install, it was almost exactly as mjtaylor wrote in his guide. We ran into couple of issue though that I would like to mention here.

Getting the Symphony I out is a pain and it took us almost an hour to get this done. The first reason was that the removal tools didn't lock well and came out when we tried to pull the head unit out. There are better tools on the market. We ended up removing the driver side knee bolster and two knifes on the side of the faceplate to get it out.

After checking the wiring harness and adding the speed wire we extended the new CAN wires to the cluster. mjtaylor's tip with looking into the green connector for spare pins was worth gold on a Saturday afternoon with no dealer close by.

Once we put everythign together we ran into the code entry issue. The unexpected issuue was that even resetting the unit didn't let the RNS-E remember the code. It turned out that we didn't set the cluster time/date yet and the year 1999 was something the RNS-E didn;t really like. After setting the correct date/time and resetting the RNS-E everything was fine.

To install the Audi iPod adapter we removed the 10 CD changer wires from Conector I and put them in a spare Connector in case we need to revert this back to orignal. We then inserted the iPod adapter wires into Connector I and everything was fine.

The only thing left is now the faceplate mod but I'm glad that I'm not involved in that.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
39 Posts
How will this differ from a b5 a4 without CAN? I guess it'll be a bit easier since I can just get the CAN emulator right? I guess that would avoid me having to tap into the wires behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, all the required signals will be in the existing connectors behind the head unit. You will still have to modify the faceplate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts