Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have been searching this forum as i wanted to install RNS-E unit on my 2002 A6 4.2Q (US)

As I am not english speaker (I'm korean), please understand my english.

My car has

Bose Symphony II unit
CD-based Navigation System
Multi-Function steering wheel (which has
△     Vol↑
▽ OOOO Vol↓
◁      ▷
like this shape of buttons (no phone shape button)
My car does NOT have any satellite audio or phatnoise or telematics or onstar.

I have some questions before I make a decision.
Please help me to get the right information and do the right thing.
I want this may help a lot of people who want to install RNS-E

1. Is it worth to install RNS-E unit? Does it fully work w/ red DIS?

2. I have CD-based Navigation system and my car has some Nav buttons near parking brake lever. It has Nav, Return, Info, detour, and 5-way jog dial button.
Can I use those buttons for RNS-E Navigation?

3. I want to install Bluetooth module as well. Does anybody try to install on A6? Where should I put the Bluetooth module?

4. Although I don't have phone shape button on my MFSW, Can I still use voice recognition for phone feature?

5. Last one, Is there anybody can install RNS-E in Utah?
oh one more! what does CAN mean? I searched and didn't figure out.

As my warrenty is almost over, I wanna try to mod my car.
First mod will be this RNS-E unit installation, so help me!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

IMO the RNS-E is worth the effort. In your car it will work just fine and fully integrate with the DIS and OEM look. You cannot use the old Navi button and you will need to disconnect the BNS unit to avoid communication issue on the CAN bus. Regarding BT, I think NSX Jr did the upgrade and installed the interface where CD changer is located. Without the phone button you cannot use the voice recognition features but it may be possible to retrofit the phone button.

Can't help you with the installer question but CAN means Controller Area Network and is a network of devices that comunicate over a 2 wire connection with each other. Similar to a computer network at work but with fewer cable and no active components (no routers, switches, hubs or so). CAN is also pretty robust, is still works (somehow) if you cut one of the two wires, remove or add new devices or under hard environmental conditions.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can recode your steering wheel so that the bottom two buttons act like the telephone buttons. So, even though they display "<" and ">", they will in fact work just like they had the phone icons.

You can install the BT module anywhere you want. I suggest in the '02 A6 that you simply install behind the glovebox somewhere. Starting in '02, the A6 did not have the pre-wiring for the analog telephone system, so you cannot use the same installation method that I used in the trunk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recode the wheel?

NSX JR said:
You can recode your steering wheel so that the bottom two buttons act like the telephone buttons. So, even though they display "<" and ">", they will in fact work just like they had the phone icons.

You can install the BT module anywhere you want. I suggest in the '02 A6 that you simply install behind the glovebox somewhere. Starting in '02, the A6 did not have the pre-wiring for the analog telephone system, so you cannot use the same installation method that I used in the trunk.
Okay, I'll bite! How do I recode the wheel controller to do this? :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.