Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm geting ton of emails about "SDS" J unit. Well, just for your information ....unit J is exactly the same as E or F. There is no indication at all that J unit is capable of voice control.
Many people alredy tried to enable that function in J units without luck.
I can import them but I don't want you to pay extra for something that you will not be able to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Voice control

This is indeed the voice controlable unit. This is the only unit seen in the newest A4/B7 with voice control, and according to the Audi parts catalog (ETKA). Beware though, there is another module that works in conjunction with the RNS-E, a voice command module, for the system to operate. The point is the J does not have voice command, but if you want to add voice command you must have a J to start with, then add all the other voice command hardware. If anyone is interested in getting this feature enabled please contact me. I am in the process of putting together a kit for B7 vehicles. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Quote:

The point is the J does not have voice command, but if you want to add voice command you must have a J to start with, then add all the other voice command hardware.

I agree with BBC: there's for sure a reason you'll need the J-unit when you want to add the voice control function (SDS) in the feature, but you'll need more then only the J-unit![/quote]

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Looking at the 2007 Elsawin diagrams, no mention of a voice control unit, but it does show the microphone connecting through the RNS-E to the telephone.

So I'm rather suprised about you saying you need a voice module.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with Craig...I thought the voice control module was only for the fiber optic MOST cars. There is absolutely no mention of the voice control module in ANY of the wiring diagrams for the B7 with voice control capability.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
My question would be: Is SDS (and I guess that's what we are talking about here) available in North America?

Audiusa.com only mentions voice control next to the BT phone preparation but they do not mention SDS anywhere. Ok given that the web pages are allways motnhs behind reality but still, there is no indication that there is a North American RNS-E that would support SDS in the same way the European SDS works.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I've just checked the 2007 Bentley manuals - and they don't show a voice control module for the B6/B7 either.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I exchanged recently emails with one of the techs at TEMIC which is the main company behaind all SDS functionality on Audi, and from what I understood, they worked only on SDS engine for MMI systems and TEL interfaces.

I saw voice control module but I don't think that will be possible to use it in connection with RNS-E. I could be wrong but It would be very wierd for Audi to use another CAN interface between ECU and receiving unit (in that case RNS-E) while they could built it in the RNS-E from beginning.

with MMI is a different story. Voice control interface is used mainly because al navigation package is not centralized module. IT is bunch of various modules responsible for different functions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts